'46 Willys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:07 AM
joeybcdt

\'46 Willys

My brother-in-law has been storing a '46 Willys Jeep in his field for a couple of years for a friend of his. The guy already owes the bro-in-law about $200 for work done to the Willys. It runs. Motor needs rebuild. Gas tank leaks badly.

The bro-in-law is trying to work out a deal for me. Should I even want to buy this thing?

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 02:55 PM
jeepfiend

Re: \'46 Willys

Absolutely yes, if you don't want it, let me know where it is, and I will take it. Flatties are where it all began. Whether it is a WWII or postwar, flatties are cool. Gas tanks are cheap, and the engine would be fun to rebuild, like a piece of history. I am sure there is probably a lot of body rust too, but that is no matter, with a torch and a welder anything can be fixed. If you are looking for a cool Jeep to rebuild, or maybe even looking for a Jeep to make into a rockcrawler, the flattie is a great place to start. Seriously, if you don't want it, and it is not too far from Utah, I would be interested.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your ASKING THE WRONG BOARD... what kind of answer did you expect??? Buy the damn thing before someone else does.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 03:14 PM

Yes buy it, then you can troubleshoot with me! lol

87 wrangler w/240K miles,
48 CJ2A with 1,000,000 miles.

-ben....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Way Outta Control

Joey, Joey, Joey... how could you even think of buying another Jeep? It'd be an abaltross around your neck. It's like having to choose between two women who you both like... Which one do you Love? Choose that one. Jeeps and women have a lot in common... you can only affor one, and there are a lot out there that look pretty good.

Good luck.. I hope you can afford two Jeeps... cuz' if you can.. you're a better man than I am...

LEVE
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These guys are all completely out of their mind. That jeep would be a complete waste of money. Tell you what-I'll take that jeep and "dispose" of it for you, so you won't have that temptation to make such a huge mistake. Just e-mail me the location.......

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:58 PM

get it even if it costs you 200 it's worth it, they usually go for much more on ebay. It will be a really good project.
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 10:36 PM
joeybcdt

Now LEVE has me a little concerned. I forgot about the woman/money thing.

I was thinking I'd just do a straight restore on the Willys. No major mods. Just make it a solid historical driver. Then I remembered that I heard somewhere that the Dana 30 is a good swap for the Willys. I just happen to have one under my CJ7....What about an AMC 20 under a Willys? Just thinkin'.

What's the 134" like? 60hp sure sounds low to me.

Joey

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

60 HP is low??
don't tell that to the guys driving samis!!!!!!!!!

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. AND FINALLY PAINT !!!!! Now lets break something!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:54 AM
jeepfiend

Only if you can find an AMC 20 with an offset differential. I am not too familiar with a lot of the newer Jeeps i.e. newer than 1970. I know a lot of stuff has been crammed into Flatties, but if you are looking to maintain original drivetrain, 41's or 44's are the way to go. I am putting a 44 under my 47. I am debating a 30 in the front, but haven't seen any 5:38 gears for the 30 yet. With the the old Go Devil Flat-head Four, 5:38's are a must have. Did the quadratrac 20's have an offset diff?

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode