"tirelock" internal beadlocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

\"tirelock\" internal beadlocks

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone heard of them, had experience from them, they are sold through JD's off-road for $769 (not including rims) for a kit for 4 wheels. I saw them on the featured vehicle on OK 4wd's site. I guess they are some sort of system that inflates inside the tire. Just looking for anybody's $.02 on them - advantages & disadvantages. Thanks
-Mel-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"tirelock\" internal beadlocks

Mel;

I looked into these extensively, and would go that route if/when I go to beadlocks if I could afford it. I run my SXs at 5psi without beadlocks and have never blown a bead, but I'm not doing an ARCA competition!

Advantages:

locks BOTH beads. Most beadlocks only lock the outside bead, although losing an inside bead is rare.

shouldn't leak. Many beadlocks leak air, making them harder to live with for something that DOES see some road action.

takes up some volume in the tire (this is my favorite). Ever try bleading/filling a large swamper? Takes a long time. I remove the core to get the air out and have a power tank to get the air in. The tire loks take up a considerable amount of the internal volume of the tire, so as a result it takes considerably less time to air down and up. If your rig is trailered everywhere all the time this is not a big consideration, but for me it is.

can run like a run flat system. This is either good or bad depending on your point of view (there is no sensor, so potentially you could be running flat without knowing it. Of course, with swampers this is pretty much true anyway!)

transferable - change rims? if the rims are the same width and diameter you can just move the system to the new set of rims.

disadvantages:

expensive. This is the big disadvantage for most people. It is NOT actually more expensive than dual bead locks (that lock both inner and outer beads), but dual beadlocks are rarely used. Compared to the regular outer lock only, they are considerably more expensive.

mounting. Mounting is more difficult because you have to take special care to not pinch the inner tube. In addition, regular bead locks generally make mounting a tire on the trail a lot easier because you don't have to get the tire lip over the rim, whereas tire loks don't have that advantage.

balancing? I have no idea if these things would make balancing the tire easier or more difficult, but for me personally this is a moot point - trying to balance swampers is a joke to begin with.

availability/support. Not too many distributors, who knows what kind of tech support (if any) that you get.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, hope this helps.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"tirelock\" internal beadlocks

These were discussed at length last month on the SWB ORC mailing list. Nobody there had any experience with them either, they are expensive. Only comment was the fact that you have to drill another valve stem hole in your rim.
BTW if anyone wants to subscribe to the mailing list (if you can't get enough of this stuff here) go to:
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/tech/mailing.html

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode