350 or 360 which one is best for me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

350 or 360 which one is best for me

hi i'm planing to upgrade my 304 to either a 350 or a 360. i know the 360 would be cheeper but is it as good an engine as the 350. the type of driveing will range from crusing the highway at 2700 rpms, in town driveing. off roading consiting off, sand and mud nothing to crazy. some rock crawling but not to much. i know 360s have good low rpm torque. and 350s have more hp in the higher rpms. if i went with a 360 could i put in a differnt cam to move my hp and torque to a higher rpm. say around 2800 - 3500 rpms. and is the engine built to with stand those kinds of rpms.(asume stock rebuilt or reman except for a differnt cam) i know in my 304 i rarely take it over 3000 rpms. and when taking road trip i dont take it over 2400 rpms for long periods of time(24hrs str8). any advice would be great thanks

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:30 AM

Re: 350 or 360 which one is best for me

i have a friend who drag races a built 360 in a rebel machine and shifts it at about 5800 rpm he hasnt broke the engine yet just 4 th400 tranies so the cheapest would probably be the 360 and remember keep it jeep

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 10:49 AM
Official Historian

I replaced my 304 with a 360. I am very satisfied with the results and it was a straight bolt in, no fabrication whatsoever.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It depends on your aspirations for the jeep. The T5 is often referred to as being questionable behind a healthy v-8 (not to start a tranny comparo war or anything). If you're potentially interested in swapping trannies and going to something stronger, you'd probably have an easier time finding a 350 and a compatible tranny/t-case than you would finding the AMC equivalent or adapters to make something else work. If you're happy with the tranny (or think you have a line on an AMC tranny or an adapter), then go with the 360, it'll be less expensive, easier, and more authentic (had to say it) to swap in.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode