questions about TFI upgrade ATTN:TeamRush or CJDave - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

questions about TFI upgrade ATTN:TeamRush or CJDave

i have a 258, but i misunderstood your posting and got the 460 coil. is this a problem? also should my timing have changed with the upgrade because after i finished it i checked and it had advanced by 10 deg. before i started the upgrade i had a problem with my module sending false trigger to my coil and coil was firing when the key was on but the engine not turning. so i did the usual "well, while i'm here" and did the upgrade to. also what timing do you reccomend? thanx for the wealth of info. (TeamRush or CJDave: Let me know if either of you ever get over to Badlands in Attica, IN I'll meet u there and repay u with a steak dinner.I'm about half an hour away in Lafayette.)

'90 YJ 4" pro-comp susp. TFI upgrade. 258 "not all of them were bought up by yuppies."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: questions about TFI upgrade ATTN:TeamRush or CJDave

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] well, Mike.....I don't want this to become a distraction which may cause you to grab a 480V fuse without opening the disconnect, so I'll try to second-guess what Aaron would say to save time. First of all he might want to know exactly what you mean by "upgrade". Did you do any rework to the distributor? Did you go to a different module, like maybe an MSD? And is the coil that you bought the TFI wierd looking coil, or is it just a "can" coil that happens to be for a 460? If you could post some info to answer those questions, it would help a lot. Also...one of the three things that I wanted to do before I croak was visit INDY. We will be movin' to middle America, Jeeps and all in about two years, so I just might get the chance to go to Hoosierland. It HAS to be better than Homoland(CA)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:29 AM

I was born and raised in Indiana.
Was at the local dirt tracks in diapers, and graduated to Indy in 69.
My step dad was on a pit crew for several years, and I worked the garage and gofering until I was old enough to do the pits.
Sprint car or Midget racing at Winchester Or Eldora is one thing, getting into the pits at Indy at 10 years old is another...
They don't give a damn what you know, you are still a kid...

They passed me off as a midget at the Pocono race one year. (again proving New Yorkers aren't really that quick...)

I love the 500 track, it's so...... Racing!!!
It seeps in through your pores, and gets into your blood...

I went to the Brickyard races, and drew a lot of flack from the Indy purists...
I think there should be at least 4 world class events there a year.
IRL is a good start with the 500,
The Brickyard for NASCAR,
I'd like to see a road race track and a drag strip take the place of the golf course and motel, and all that other crap. (you can't race a golf ball, or a flea bag motel...)
It's a small move for the NHRA US Nationals to move from Indianapolis Raceway Park (IRP) to the 500 track...
And I would think there should even be room for a short dirt track in there somewhere..

Make it THE Mecca for racing...
(Every hot rodder from around the world stops what he is doing and faces Indy four times a year, ... To pray to the Speed God Hemi, guzzle beer, and tune in on satellite...)

If you make it to Indy, take time to do the Museum. Go slow and spend some time there.
When it's quiet, I swear you can feel and hear the old time racers...

Anyway, I digress... On with the topic at hand...
-------------------------------

CJ Dave, they actually issue hunting licenses for queers where you are moving....
(I may come to visit.... during hunting season...)

If your module was firing the coil while the key was on and the engine was not running...
It would depend on how often it was firing...
Every now and again the module will fire with the key on and the engine off.
It's just the nature of the beast.

BUT, if it fired more than once or twice a minute, something is very wrong...
--------------------------------

1. Take apart ALL connections,-- module, ignition coil, and distributor connections.
Clean THOROUGHLY!
Use contact cleaner, Q-tips, emery cloth, wire brush, or low yield nuclear device or what ever it takes, but make sure BOTH SIDES OF THE CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN!!

2. Check the resistance of the pickup coil.
Violet wire and Orange wire from the distributor. 400 to 800 Ohms.
Any more or any less, time for a new pickup coil.
If the pick up coil is bad, post here and we will tell you how to change it...

3. Check primary ignition coil resistance.
Connect an Ohm meter between the Positive and Negative ignition coil connections.
You should come up with about 0.40 to 0.45 Ohms with the TFI coil.
If you don't, it's shot. Replace it.

The stock Jeep can type ignition coil should show 1.13 to 1.50 Ohms.
If you don't, it's shot. Replace it.

4. Module test...
No real way to test a Dura Spark module...
New modules at the discount auto parts stores are $15 with a life time warranty...

Unless they have a tester that actually hooks up to an ignition coil and fires it, don't trust the opinion of the in store tester. It has to be a full load test to be correct.

5. Harness test.
If you still have the problem, and all of the components check out, the problem is probably in the wiring harness.
Attached is a graphic of a test harness to use.
If your problem is with one of the components, it will still do it, of it's with the harness it's self, this test harness will stop it.

You may use a Ford replacement resistor wire, (84 Ford F-150 V-8 Pickup, $8. at Auto Zone), or the Chrysler Porcelain 'Pot' type resistor (76 Chrysler New Yorker V-8, $2. at Auto Zone) in the test harness.
(The test harness with an extra Dura Spark module thrown in the 'spares' box will get you, or anyone you know, home. It works on I-6 or V-8 engines...)

Hope this will help,
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-29022-DuraSparkTestHarness.jpg (25.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Unless you have built a race car....ANY race car....loaded it and taken it to "the races", you just won't completely connect. The heat, the hurry to make changes, the driver's COMPLETE confidence that he will finish first(that's always a big plus), borrowing and lending parts and tools, stealing ideas, packing it all up when it's over, and bringing home a car that did so darn good that you are afraid to touch ANYTHING for fear of spoiling the "setup". Getting home in the middle of the night; going out the next morning and just looking at the car sitting there so quiet that it's hard to imagine where it was the day before.....going through the "high" corner and sticking that good.... ; finally noticing all the little rub marks that you didn't see the night before; marks which remind you that cars DO touch; and that racing isn't as smooth as it looks from the pits.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 08:31 PM

Aaron How much time have you spent at Eldora and Winchester? Do you know Don(deceased) or Jack Hewitt?

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the help it was the duraspark module.(autozone-$50)where did you find it for $15, because that's where i'll go to get my spare. pick-up coil was ok.
i got the tfi coil but i got it for the 460, is that a problem?

also, what do you reccomend setting timing at?(as advanced as possible witout getting knock at full advance or something lower? my jeep is a daily driver.)

didn't read about the MSD upgrades until after i had gotten the parts for the TFI upgrade(guess that's my next project)

Haven't done the dist. springs yet could you please post instructions?

last question i promise, how difficult is the slip yoke eliminator install on the NP231? should i have a shop do it?

TeamRush:
couldn't agree with you more about the speedway. To see it sit idle the rest of the summer seems like a sin. (although i have had some fun racing golf carts) There has to be a better use for the ground the golfcourse takes up. What part of the midwest are you in?(maybe if i get too tired of the electrical business I'll come up and apply for the kid with the pink mohawks job).If you ever make it over this way to hunt let me know i can get you hunting privliges(sp) on 2 or 3 farms around here.

CJDave:
I must admit San Francisco has always confused me. How does a town get to be known for Homos and Football? You wouldn't expect the two to go together. and thanks for the concern 480 could be bad. I work in a steel mill so alot of the time the glowing red stuff is more dangerous than the electrons.

And remember the steak dinner offer is good for both of you.

'90 YJ 4" pro-comp susp. TFI upgrade. 258 "not all of them were bought up by yuppies."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 07:58 PM

*Dirt Dog* asked,
*Aaron How much time have you spent at Eldora and Winchester? Do you know Don(deceased) or Jack Hewitt?*

I don't know them personally. I think I remember the names from garage talk.
The people I remember were Larry Dixon, Sammy Sessions, Tom Sneva Ect.
It's been a while cense I raced a sprint car, and it's been even longer cense USAC ran things...

*hoosierjeepr* asked,

*thanks for the help it was the duraspark module.(autozone-$50)where did you find it for $15, because that's where i'll go to get my spare.*

I bought one at Advanced Auto this week for $16.
I got two at NAPA last week for $24 each.
---------------------------------

*pick-up coil was ok. i got the tfi coil but i got it for the 460, is that a problem?*

All TFI coils are pretty much the same from year to year, and from engine to engine.
The 460 coil is the same one for the 4 cylinder.

*also, what do you reccomend setting timing at?(as advanced as possible witout getting knock at full advance or something lower? my jeep is a daily driver.)*

Set it at what ever the book recommends to be safe.
If you feel brave, you can sneak the timing up two degrees at a time until you get Detonation, then back it down four degrees and lock it down.

The more advance you can run with out detonation, the better.

*didn't read about the MSD upgrades until after i had gotten the parts for the TFI upgrade(guess that's my next project)*

You differently need the wide cap, tall rotor, good plug wires and good coil if you intend to run a MSD module... Take my word for it, you did nothing wrong.

*Haven't done the dist. springs yet could you please post instructions?*

Instructions on the board already...
If you don't find them, ask again when you are ready, and someone will post them again.

*last question i promise, how difficult is the slip yoke eliminator install on the NP231? should i have a shop do it?*

I have no idea. I don't do 4X4 stuff normally.
Start a new thread with that as the title of the post, and I'm sure you will get gobs of answers.

*TeamRush:*
*couldn't agree with you more about the speedway. To see it sit idle the rest of the summer seems like a sin. (although i have had some fun racing golf carts) There has to be a better use for the ground the golfcourse takes up.*

I've never raced a golf cart sober...
It's like poking a fat girl, it's fun, but you don't want anyone seeing you doing it...

*What part of the midwest are you in?(maybe if i get too tired of the electrical business
I'll come up and apply for the kid with the pink mohawks job).If you ever make it over this way to hunt let me know i can get you hunting privliges(sp) on 2 or 3 farms around here.*

I'm from southern Indiana. I grew up in a bend in the White River.

The kid with the Pink Mohawk shaved his head entirely now. He still has two pounds of crap in his face.
He can and will work though, more than I can say for the collage weeniers we get every summer looking for work.

*And remember the steak dinner offer is good for both of you.*

Steaks and *beer*?
Did I hear someone say 'Beer'...??...
Wadda say CJ Dave? Free Beer, er,... I mean Steaks....?...

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 08:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If I can come by myself, there will be enough beer to go around. If some of the moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]hitch a ride, who knows?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode