NOT a Jeep Question, but I know you guys can help me!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NOT a Jeep Question, but I know you guys can help me!!!

Ok here's the story thus far:
I have a 98 Dodge Ram, see below, Which i bought brand new in july of 98. It has been a great truck, almost troublefree. Couple minor things like trim pieces and all, but nothing major...until now. The truck has a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on it. To date its got about 34,500. My owners manual recommends auto trans service at 60,000 miles, but everyone i talked to said to drop the $60 and get it done at 30,000 miles if i want it to last. I do very little 4 wheeling with it, except pulling buddy's jeeps out the mud. (Yes Yours, Ted!!!) I towed with it once, but only a u-haul trailer. Anyways i got the trans serviced by the local Dodge Dealer and have had nothing but problems with it since. In the first 30,000 miles of ownership, i had 0 problems with it, in the last 5,000, almost all of which I-95 miles, it has been to the dealer 3 times and goes back monday. They keep telling me its my imagination. It has been in twice for leaks, and once for slipping. Each time it was my IMAGINATION. Well, after my last 1200 mile trip, somewhere along the line, the trans decided to make its mark on 95 and spill its guts. It started acting funny about 900 miles into the trip, but i wasnt about to stop where i was. I get back, check the dipstick and its bone dry. This long trip could not have been good on that trans. What could this have done to the Trans Internally? Is it toast? Now it slips, wont go into gear, and you say a Hail Mary before shifting into reverse. Am I wrong to go to the dealership tomorrow morning with all the service orders insisting the problems were my "Imagination" and that i request a new Trans? Those are my intentions. I would like all of your opinions, thanks guys, I appreciate it...but i think i may need the Moonguys on this one, CJDave, tell them the beer's on Ice and waiting!!

-Mike

PS-> Looking for a project CJ-7, Cheap, Have tow-rig (sans transmission) will travel!

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 12:38 AM
Swamper104

Re: NOT a Jeep Question, but I know you guys can help me!!!

I would defiently plan to go to the dealer and explain to them that they will be putting a new transmission in your truck. Ask them if it is just your imagination that the truck is no longer driveable. My buddy bought a 94 V10 2500 back when they first came out. He went through many of your same troubles but after 2 transmissions they finally put one in that has worked great.
Davey

Big 78 CJ5, 95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do two things that WILL help you regardless of what happens.
1) Make notes. Make notes of notes. Record everything you can think of. Connect dates, times, locations, peoples names whatever you can think of. What you want to be able to show - not tell, show - is that a progression of things began to happen. You also want to be able to show that you did your part by taking it to the people who are supposed to be able to find out what is wrong. Good notes are also a psychological tool. People who take notes, since notes are time consuming and require effort, are the kind of people who will finish what they start. Get all your service records together. Even make notes in the margin of them if you want to.
2) Call a factory hot line or factory representative. Get some kind of number relating to the call that can be found later. Make notes of the call. Give them names, dates, places etc. and ask that they begin a file on your truck.

At this point you are only making preparations for the worst case senario. Probably will not get that far, but just the psychology of it may be enough to tilt the thing in your favor if there is any controversy. Chances are they will want to work with you and there will be no problem anyway. Your service records showing that you do the things that need to be done are very important to have. It is also in your favor that you wanted to service the tranny early. Shows you are careful and deliberate - not likely to let something break from negelect.

The 3rd thing of the two things you need to do [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] is to be nice, polite, direct and forceful. NOT mad and upset. Have the attitude that you know that they know what they are doing, that you know that they want to get the problem fixed and that as far as you are concerned it is you and them against the tranny problem.

If nice doesn't work, you can act differently later and see if that works.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks so much guys!

This is my first new ride, which i bought when i was only 19...and will be paying off till I'm 24...only 39 more payments and its mine! What I'm getting At is this: The truck may be a year old and have 34500 miles on it, but it looks showroom new. I wash it twice a week and wax it every other month. There is no bedliner in the bed, and i'll give you a dollar for every REAL scratch you can find. I do not use the truck for truck purposes. Its just a big car with 4 wheel drive to me. There is only one nick on the entire truck and thats on the rear quarter panel where a rock got kicked up by the tire. I am METICULOUS with this ride, as I am still paying it off. I have every receipt, change the oil and filter every 2500 to 3000 miles, i really baby it. I have every receipt, even the ones for oil and filters, everything. I knew they would come in handy some day...My reason for being Irate, is i had another problem with this dealer with this truck. It was sitting 3/4" low on the drivers side and they would not warranty repair it. I had to call Chrysler and explain the situation to them. Then and only then were the new springpacks ordered. I just dont like this dealer, but the next nearest one is over 20 miles away!! I'm pulling my hair out, but i intend to go there with a good attitude, until they try that imagination bull**** again. I swear if they go there I am going to tell them to IMAGINE fluid in that trans and IMAGINE putting a new one in the truck, or they can IMAGINE a call from my LAWYER! Sorry...but to me, $34,000 is a lot of money, and i feel they should have done more to prevent this from happening....

-Mike

P.S.> I'll post how things work out. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 03:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

20 miles is NOT too far to go for a good dealership. We recently moved to Minnesota from Wisconsin. After sampling about 4 dealers up here, we drove back to WI (330 miles!) to the little Dodge dealership we had always gone to to buy our Dakota.
Criminals do not deserve your business...even if they are convenient. Good luck with resolving your problem. BTW, my '95 Ram 2500, 360, auto, 4x4 had 62,000 miles on it when we traded it in on a ... ugh...minivan (too many kids to fit into a std. cab truck) and I had very good luck with it. I'll buy another.

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>1999 Dakota 4x4</font color=purple>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 02:33 PM
Wrangler88

i know you have low miles and such, i mean 34K isn't that much but, they didn't switch from natural ATF to Synthetic did they? sometimes thats causes leaks, or did it originaly have sythetic in it? you might want to find that out if its leaking..good luck givem hell!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:51 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I work 55 miles East of home & buy my cars/trucks 66 miles WEST of home. A good dealer IS worth the trip, but it's a hassle for service. I buy GM not only because I like them, but also because the local dealer fixes my problems when they come up. The local F*** guy is a criminal & the D**** dealer soured me on any future DC purchases by having the lousiest service dept. you could ever imagine. My last DC car ('92 Plymouth) will indeed be my "last" one.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks so much for all your help, guys....Here's what happened today:

I went to the dealer, smiling. Told them what was up,said they'd fix it. I get a call that its done, and go to pick it up. he says that it was barely low n fluid and that four guys, two tech, the service writer, and the service manager all took the truck for a ride together and agreed that it works fine. And the trans only needed half of pint of fluid. Yet when i asked him how many ounces there are in a pint, he could not tell me. Funny how that is. In any case, they all assuered me that its fine and ready to go and that they did nothing more than add 1/2 pint of fluid.

Here's the good part:

I get in the truck. First things i notice, my steering wheel and center console are covered in some type of lubricant. That pissed me off. I cleaned it with a napkin i had in my pocket and went on my way. Went home ate dinner. Drove to Alec's house (Alec78CJ) so it would be hot so we could check the fluid. They definitely added fluid, the spilled it all over my frame rail and A/C lines. Absolutely no attempt was made to clean this up, again pissing me off. So when I pull the dipstick, get this: the fluid, which my service order say was "TOPPED OFF" is still below the bottom of the X'd add mark. I checked it 4 tims, and had Alec verify it 4 times. I am going to the dealer tomorrow...and i will personally take the service manager by the hand and show him hoe to check the fluid. When he bends over to pull the dipstick, i am going to kick him in the ass. I am totally fed up now. (Now i know why kids bring guns to school!!!)

I'm pissed....any ideas? Thanks to all who have already commented, and i welcome any and all opinions on this matter.

-Mike

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mike,
Did you make sure the engine was running when you checked it?

Next...Be nice..but the minute the service manager tries to give you a line, tell him you want to talk to his boss. When the next guy comes along, the first time he gives you a BS line, ask for his boss...

At some point, the right person will take care of your problem...and its usually because they don't want 'their' boss to know about it.

Good Luck....let us know what happens.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not sure how to initiate the process, but if nothing happens after this, try the better business bureau. It has worked for my friend who had to have a front R&P replaced on his own dime while the truck was still under warranty ($1400). The dealer said it was abused (using a little rock rash on undercarriage as evidence) therefore no warranty.

Buddy calls up the BBB and sets arbtration, brings in magazine with ads showing pictures of same truck doing crazy stuff, and he wins. So consider the BBB or just drop that name next time you see these jokers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode