Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Changed engine, now got clutch problem (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/60910-changed-engine-now-got-clutch-problem.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:19 PM

Changed engine, now got clutch problem

I swapped my tranny 2 mo. ago (AX15); new clutch kit and slave cylinder. Everything worked well. This week I put in a different 258 and now the clutch will not fully disengage when you push the pedal. I have bled a quart of brake fluid through the darned thing and no change.
I have to shut off the engine at stop signs to get it shifted into gear without grinding.
Could this be the clutch master cylinder?

Please help!!!

Lowrange
Email: [email protected]
87 Wrangler, 4.2L, Weber carb., HEI, AX-15, Procomp 2 1/2" lift, Procomp 3000's, Superwinch

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:29 PM

Re: Changed engine, now got clutch problem

Did it work after changing engines?. It could be a master or a slave cylinder problem.

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:35 PM

It worked for a short while, maybe an hour during a 100 mile drive. The slave cyl. was new 2 mo. ago. I was wondering if the master cyl. should be rebuilt or replaced. Is there a way to check it?
BTW, I checked & found no fluid leaks.

Lowrange
87 Wrangler, 4.2L, Weber carb., HEI, AX-15, Procomp 2 1/2" lift, Procomp 3000's, Superwinch

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:40 PM

It's probably one or the other. Put a cap on the output side of the Master cylinder. If the clutch pedal goes down when you step on the clutch then that is where the problem may be.

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:47 PM

The pedal feels normal and the clutch disengages, just not completely. I jacked up one rear wheel. With engine running and clutch pedal pressed, the wheel turns. If I shut it down,put it into reverse & restart it - - the wheel turns backward.
I can hold the wheel from turning with my hand while someone starts the Jeep and holds the clutch pedal in. If I let go it turns again.

Lowrange

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 07:55 PM

That shows your clutch is not disengaging completely. That is why it won't shift properly.

dorfs 03-11-2001 08:04 PM

Did you use the same flywheel? Also check that you used dot 4 fluid. Dot 3 won't work, it will boil and put air in the system.

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 08:09 PM

Same flywheel, clutch, slave cyl., new engine and pilot bearing.

Lowrange

**DONOTDELETE** 03-11-2001 08:19 PM

Thanks Lind & dorfs! I will check the fluid type and try rebuilding the master cyl.

Lowrange

yjdave 03-11-2001 08:26 PM

when you bled the system, did you remove the slave cylinder from the bellhousing and push the rod in, or just bleed it hooked up? if you dont remove it to push it all the way in, you could pour a bathtub full of fluid thru it without getting all the air out. check that.. i was thinking of the standard hydraulic setup, not the concentric bearing.

paw print