Dual alternators/Underhood welder idea?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Dual alternators/Underhood welder idea??

I was sitting around with some extra time on my hands and figured what better way to spend it than thinking up jeep stuff. I got this idea while pondering the incredible expense of high output alternators and related subjects, namely underhood welding systems. With this thought in mind would it be possible to mount a dual alternator system under the hood and make it usable? If not for a welding system at the least as a more cost effective way of gaining a high amp charging system? I've got a 79 304 and recall seeing an arangement with a smog pump suspended above the power steering pump. Anyone have this arragement and does it look like an alternator could be swapped in where the smog pump is? Am I out of my mind?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:42 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Dual alternators/Underhood welder idea??

1. Are you out of your mind?

No.

2. Would Dual Alternators be an alternitive to one High Output alternoator?

If the quest is to obtain better charging of a battery, yes.. but on seperate circuits.

If the quest is for higher amperage on one circuit for a welder, then no. You can't parallel alternators because there is not voltage regulation between the two. You could purchase some pretty fancy regulator systems, but by then you would be back up to the cost of one higher amperage alternator.

LEVE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Leve, how could you have seperate circuits on the same battery? You'd have to parallel the alternators! (Which wouldn't work, right?

If you wanted to have one alternator be your alternator, and the other be your welder, you could do that...just pull the voltage regulator on the welding alternator, put a switch on the 12v "input", and a wire your welding leads to the case (-) and to the positive output terminal (+)...that would work without blowing up the first alterntor, wouldn't it?

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How would these circuits be laid out? If I recall dual alternators was an option on my ford super duty. May have only been with the diesel but I don't see where that should make any differnce. So I know it's possible I just don't know what arrangement it would take electrically.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:23 PM
Way Outta Control

FarmJeep.... Parallel alternators will work if you want to spend the money to regulate the voltage. I'm not aquanted with the modern circuits that could do this, but the do exist for some High Buck RV's and trucks, and generator systems. As to the the welder you're correct, that's about what it takes...just let the alternator voltage float as high as it can. For the newer guys on the form here's the best site on makeing an on-board welder that I've ever seen: http://www.trailhed.com/welding.html.

The circuits would NOT be on one battery... but divided between the two batteries according to a totality of load. Otherwise it would be like jumpering a battery with two vehicles by putting the alternator output in parallel... something's going to give. The "Lucas" theory of electricy is that all electrical devices run on smoke. Big devices have big wires to carry lots of smoke. Little devices have little wires to carry a little smoke. When the device fails, it lets the smoke out... and never works again. You'd see this theory in actions, up close and personal.

Spook...I may be incorrect, but most of the parallel alternator system were being used as fail safe devices, redundant chargers, and to charge 24 Volt battery systems. On your Ford... humm... I ain't got a clue as to how it was wired... so anything I'd say would have a correctiness factor of about zero. I just don't want to blow any credibility I may have left on the forum.

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode