oil pressure again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

oil pressure again

i did pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly i did torque the cover down i did torque the timing cover down the only thing i didnt do was replace the front main seal on the timing cover ( i know stuopid but i was in a rush to make it run had a jamboree the next day to go to) so could any one tell me if the front main seal on the timing cover could be the culprit for my no idle oil pressure or could the timing cover not be seated proprerly i know the when we were at the jamboree every time i did a mud run or a water crossing the oil pressure came back and stayed till the water was gone or the mud dried out please help

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil pressure again

If it's a 304 I doubt if the front main seal would be a problem. The gasket under the timing cover would cause a problem if not seated or a bad gasket.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 05:10 PM
Official Historian

The engine seals will only keep the oil from leaking out. The pressure comes from the resistance to the oil from getting out of the bearings. If the bearing clearances are too big, the oil will flow out faster with less pressure. One other thing to check is the oil bypass valve. Make sure the valve is not stuck open and that the spring is stiff enough to keep the pressure up. I stretched my spring a little at a time to get the oil pressure where it should be. Stretching the spring only affected the maximum oil pressure though, not the idle oil pressure.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, it could be cam brgs.

I'll ask again...When you went into the pump, did you check the clearance between the gears and the base of the casting ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode