Easier to just read than try to describe. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Easier to just read than try to describe.

I have been debating what to do with the jeep color wise as far as paint goes. I am now involved in a lawsuit with the body shop for detaining my jeep and about a dozen other illegal things that they did to it. But, I was thinking that when I get the Jeep back I would hate to scratch up the new paint on a trail. Actually, I was thinking that I know I will scratch up the paint on the trail and that I did not feel like becoming my own body repairman b/c of it. So, I thought I would just have the entire thing Speedlined, inside and out, underneath and in the engine bay, everywhere. No scratches, weatherproof for Montana, and it is available in any color I want with a lifetime gaurantee against fading, peeling, and all that other stuff. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sites that featured a rig that was totally sprayed with a liner.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 08:48 PM

Re: Easier to just read than try to describe.

I remembered seeing an FJ40 that was completely covered in Rhino Lining. Had to dig in the magazine archives (and the wife wonders why I keep 'em!) Feb '97 Four Whee Drive and Sport Utility has this rig featured on the cover. The owner was a Camel Trophy driver, and he covered the whole works with Rhino Lining, "affording protection to the body that paint just can't give". Doesn't say anything more about it, though. It looks like he runs a soft top; I would think that if it was too thick it would cause problems with hardtop/doors.

Ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:06 PM
Old Hand

I have seen a Jeep before with some type of coating all over. I don't know what type it was. It looked really cool. And it was textured.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:51 PM
Mac

Wouldnt this be really hard to clean ( not that you need to or anything ) but when you have that nice day out and no one is home to go wheelin'. Kinda rough to rub a rag over. My $0.02.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 10:01 PM
Old Hand

I have Rhinolined an entire Jeep - inside, outside, underside. It was a good bit of work and pricey. They key is proper prep work to ensure that underneath, all oil and grease is removed. If not and the stuff loosens and cracks or opens up, water will under the stuff and might not get out causing some major rust problems. Just like the cheap undercoating crap Ford used several years ago that made the vehicle rot from the inside out.

It will loose its sheen after a while and can be perked up with Spic n Span. If you go with something that has chunks of rubber - be careful around door openings for proper fitment. Some similar areas may need the coating without the aggregate.

Once you start and it sets up you are committed!! The stuff if applied properly won't come off!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 10:27 PM
Wrangler88

well this is kinda a weenie idea, but in the new quadratec magazine, they sell those magnets that cover your entire jeep for about $299, i guess the really cool thing is u can get it in camoflaug.. just a thought..

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm going a different route with my jeep. First, all the sheet metal is wrinkled. Someday it may get replaced, one piece at a time. Meanwhile, I'm painting it with Rustoleum. My main concern now is rust prevention. A few different colors, (I'll post a picture when it's done) but kinda unique. Anyway the idea is, it will get trail gashed. So the touch up is available anywhere you can buy Rustoleum paint. And a can or two in the garage at home. Get home from the trail, stow the gear, a few squirts of spray paint and it's Miller Time!

1968 CJ-5 225 V6/T14/18/27frt/44rr

If life gets boring, risk it!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:19 AM
I Do This For The Glory

A few <font color=blue>squirts</font color=blue> of paint? How about a few <font color=blue>BRUSH STROKES</font color=blue> of paint? I prefer the brush because it goes on thicker and really holds up. I prefer Hammerite paint, no removing rust, prep work, or anything, just brush it on and leave it alone. No problems after 2.5 years of beating and no rust. Can be found at most Marine stores in a variety of colors and textures.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah Jeepn now you got the idea, brush it. Quite honestly, my CJ just got it's first coat (spray can)and I can tell it won't take much it to scratch it. Originaly I was looking for semi-gloss or flat to help hide all the deep scraps and wrinkles. Was about to go to the auto paint supply house and get the exact colors needed with a flatening additive. I've painted a few vehilcles at home at it is a major hassle. I think I'll go find the paint brushes!

1968 CJ-5 225 V6/T14/18/27frt/44rr

If life gets boring, risk it!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're kidding? There's actually other guys out there that brush paint their entire Jeep with Rustoleum besides me and my friends? Way to go guys! Hey - if you're going to go off road and have fun, there's no better way to go! Actually my friends use Rustoleum, and I brush paint actual PPG automotive paint. If You paint FAST with a good brush it comes out great!

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode