Metal or Rubber ValveStems? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Metal or Rubber ValveStems?

I have 15X10 aluminum rims and they leak!! I am going to replace my tires and don't want them to leak afterwards. I have metal valvestems right now, someone told me it is the metal valvestems that are making my wheels leak. It this true? Will rubber valvestems work with the thick aluminum wheels?

78 CJ5/360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:05 PM

Re: Metal or Rubber ValveStems?

what size tire are you using? Is it the correct width and rim size? there should be a number on the side like p245/60/r15. If it says r15.5 or r16 you have the wrong size tires. Also for a 10' rim you need to have at least 12.5' wide tires.

The guy who told you about the valve stems is a moron. The "metal" ones are just cromed ruber. Still there could be a problem with them. In a rare case they could leak or not be pulled into the rim tight enough.

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am using 33X12.5OR15 tires on my 15X10's

78 CJ5/360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:45 PM

The possiblity of the metal valve stems leaking around the seal is quite correct. I would suggest that if no rubber valve stems are available for the rims then to get the metal valve stems replaced or at least the seals for them. I have had metal stems leak and found that all the problem was in the rubber seal where the nut holds them in the rim. I have also had bad luck with the rubber stems,,, Pick the one you like and just keep an eye on them.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, the base of metal valve stems is probably the most common source of leaks. As for what is better, the metal or rubber stems, that is pretty much a personal decision...they all leak after a certain amount of time. I myself think the metal stems hold up a little better, but that might just be the exhaust fumes thinking for me again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Have all the stems replaced for about $4/each and you should be good to go.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The nice thing about rubber is they will give, if you run the end of a branch or rock into it. Carry a spare either way

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 05:53 PM
sas87yj

heck i didn't even know the metal ones were still around! i guess motorcycles still have them? i would go with rubber as they will give if whacked. sure the rubber will weather and crack but they will last the life of the tire and get new ones with new tires.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 06:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The only reason i went steel is the ice. Ice will cut those rubber stems right in half. Did it twice on a old truck i used to have. They both have advantages and disadvantages like was said before it is up to you. I have never heard of a metal stem leaking but it does make sense though. good luck

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wait a minute, Is there supposed to be a rubber seal on the outside of the wheel, underneath the nut that holds the valvestems in? If there is, I don't have them.

78 CJ5/360/33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode