Requesting help with design of exhaust/nerfs
77CJ5, 304v-8, fenderwell headers, crappy mufflers.
I just did a 4" lift (replacing the previous owner's add-a leaf suspension) and was trying to figure out why it didn't have more clearance...I realized it's because of the steps/exhaust on the jeep. The headers stick down nearly 6" below the bottom of the tub, right in harm's way. The jeep has aluminum psuedo-running boards that also stick down about 5" on the side...and right now, the mufflers are attached directly to the headers, and have a 90 degree elbow on the end of them for a turnout. I've decided that it's time to redesign the under-jeep area... Here are my design criteria:
1. Maximize under-jeep clearance.
2. Run exhaust to back of jeep, exiting right behind rear tires.
3. Create new rocker panel protectors to save fiberglass body.
4. Keep fenderwell headers (They're on there, they work well, they don't leak, they sound good...did I mention that they're on there and don't leak?)
5. Use a muffler that doesn't sound like a tin can.
So what I'm tring to do is concoct a way of using a much smaller (dimensionally) muffler, and running an exhaust line outside the frame to the rear of the jeep...and then creating new rocker panel protectors that are higher clearance. I've got some ideas about the rocker panel protectors...but the exhaust is driving me batty. I've even considered running an exhaust line from the headers up over the frame and back inside the frame, but that would be pretty lame. What I really need is a muffler built out of some really heavy duty pipe that could be integrated into the rocker protectors [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. But that's just a PIPE-DREAM (get it...ha!).
Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.