Air Tank ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Air Tank ideas

how are you folks handling the on board air storage problem?
iM not too keen on pressurizing the rool bar, and dont plan on tube bumpers.

who makes some small tanks and where do they fit? on a CJ5 no less!

thanks

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 06:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Air Tank ideas

I have a 3 gallon tank on my CJ7. It is mounted in front of the gas tank above the rear differential. I don't know if this space exists on a CJ5. My tank is from one of those hot dog style contractor compressors. I bought the whole compressor with a burned up motor for $35 from a loacl compressor repair shop. I used the tank, gauges, switch, and everything else but the electric motor. It was well worth the $35.

Tom

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

thats another question i had, do the 120 volt switches work with the 12 volt compressor clutch? I guess they do since your using htem, cool that answeres that

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 08:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

I am planning for my air tank to go beside the transmission in the skid plate (driver's side). There seems to be plenty of room. BTW I have fenderwell headers and side pipes. I just got my compressor mounted and am drawing a new diagram that I got ideas from the compressor sites. Any input or help is appreciated..Thanks...

Ricky...seeya...
1979 CJ-7 401 T18
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 08:51 PM

I know you said you weren't planning on tube bumpers for air tanks, but I just wanted to put this in. Remember how everyone was bashing using a typical tube-bumper for an air-tank because the welds weren't right for it? Well, you could just have the correct ends put on and welded the right way, along with the rest of the fittings, and it would work quite nicely. I've heard of some people putting air-tanks under the hood, and while it could be made to fit with an inline 4 or 6 I think it would be too hot in there and be constantly blowing the burst disc. How about on top of the rear fenderwells, between the sections of roll-bar? You could even strap it vertically to the roll-bar itself and not have to bolt it through the sheet-metal.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:13 PM
Old Hand

I got my tank from rubicon express, $70. It has all the NPT holes you need. 6"x24" tube. 2.5 gallon, I think. I mounted it on the rear fender well of my YJ. Fits perfectly, stays clean, and it draws strange looks from rear seat passengers.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 09:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes i am planning on putting mine next to the tranny.. above the skid plate.. since i too will be running the fenderwell headers.. i know wally mart sells i 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, with fittings, hose and everything you need for like 70-80 bucks.. you could also put it behind the back seat on the cj7's.. sorry i know that doesnt help you 5 guys out at all... you could just get a 7 and be donw with it.. hehehe..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I solved the problem by getting a CO2 tank from a Pepsi guy and putting a regulator on it. $12. to fill the 20lb tank, it works like a charm,is portable, and it will fill many,many tires very fast. Just strap it in your jeep and go.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to a truck (semi) sakvage yard and picked through their pile. Found a 3 gallon tank with a 125 psi pop off, dump valve and all of the fittings. $40.00
Most of my buddies have had similar luck at truck salvage yards all over So. Cal.

Axlesupagain

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 06:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got an old, but in good shape, fire extinguisher bottle, painted it and installed it in the engine compartment on the driver side fender in place of the jack. I threw the jack in the back with my tools.

Yes the 120 V switch will work. All it does is close a circuit and let the current go through. It doesn't matter if that current's voltage is much less than it supposed to handle.

Hope this helps.
A.B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode