oil pressure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

oil pressure

i recently put a new cam lifters and push rods in my 304 V8 after the install i have no oil pressure at an idle once i get rpm's up to around 1800 the pressure picks right up and holds its not the guage i know because its a brand new mechanical i am wondering if maybe the timing cover is leakin air i replaced the oil pump gears also please help

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil pressure

My father in-law's Cavalier does the same thing. I always thought it was because the motor was so bagged. I'll be looking for whatever info you find out so I can fix his.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

the motor only has 80,000 original on it it had 30 pounds oil pressure at an idle before the cam change

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I havn't been around AMCs much, so I don't know the specifics of the motor. Be Very careful running a new cam/lifter (don't burn the cam up while you figure this out).
Did you check the clearances in the oil pump ?
Can you get pressure by jacking up the pressure relief valve setting ?
Did you torque the gear cover correctly on the pump ?
I'd say it's in the pump. Maybe put the old gears back in and try it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Official Historian

You might try pulling the distributor and turning the oil pump with a drill motor. See if you get oil pressure this way. You did pack the oil pump with petroleum jelly when you reassembled the pump, didn't you?

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem with a sb chevy once and ended up replacing the cam bearings to fix it.
Edder

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey-Your motor pics up the oil through a pickup tube threaded into the block, from there it runs 5 inches to the edge pof the block to the timing cover. After it gets to the timing cover it gets pressurized and sent back out of the timing cover through the lower end and up the front of the motor to the cam bearings and up to the lifter, pushrods and squirting on your rockers. When you did the cam swap did you make sure the timing cover had a clean gasket surface?...On the passenger side of the motor(same as the pump...duh) were the oil reaches the pump cover there can be a slight air leak in which sounds like what has happened in your case...It has happened to me before too. Another thing...the timing cover might have warped after you took it off...when you disassembled the motor was it still warm to the touch at all?...if it was the different thicknesses of the aluminum could warp alittle...on the same note tightning it down could rectify(scary word) the problem. That what makes me think it is a unclean or a mystery particle of course that always seems to find itself in the worst place at the wrong time. I would just take a look at another new timing cover gasket and you should be able to figure what bolts to take out just to drop the timing cover/water pump out in one piece...DONT forget about the oil pan bolts and snap the cover.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey tell me how you made out!?! Just in case you find out something else I should look for!

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What does the pressure eventually build up to?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

to answer the question it builds up to about 35 to 40 at about 3000 rpm right where it always was just not good in the low rpm's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode