yj vacuum system sucks.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yj vacuum system sucks..

Boy does the yj vaccum system suck, I had read about the problems in 4 x 4 magazines but now I have actually experienced how poorly the system was designed. I just got done replacing the vaccum harness and switch, the system had been working allright for a few weeks and just the other day I went to use it and it wouldn't engage the hubs. I know I should probally just change the axle but what is the cheapest way out? Ive heard about the cable but don't know how much it costs. Maybe I should just weld the cylinder to the 4 wheel side and have them engaged all the time so I know my 4 wheel will work! Any suggestions?

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 11:24 PM

Re: yj vacuum system sucks..

dont weld it into 4 wheel drive full time if you do any street drivin it will break all kinds of expensive parts the cable conversion i believe is under 150 beans and seems to be the best fix

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 11:28 PM

Is your shift collar stuck on the axle splines? Try removing the shift motor from the axle and try to slide the collar by hand. If it is stuck, free it by gently tapping on the collar with a hammer and screwdriver on the collar's center groove. Then take some axle grease and slather a good amount on the splines and work the collar back and forth by hand to work the grease in. Put the motor back on the axle, making sure that the shift fork rides in the collar center groove. Check the fluid level in the front diff and add gear oil if necessary.

If the collar is stuck on the splines, it doesn't make a difference what kind of actuation system (cable or vacuum) the axle has. It would also be a bad idea to weld the collar in the locked position Good luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

what about in the older cj's where the axle was locked in all the time? Why would that be different in my yj dana 30?

Jeeps are Built not Bought
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:16 AM

older cj jeeps had lockout hubs which locked the axles in and out yours are are driven when you connect the axles with the coupler still think the cable system would be the best fix for your stock axle

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the fix for you it is called 4x4 posilock it is a cable the takes place of the vacum it works great and if you have a front locker it is even better the posilock go for 199.95 plus shipping i have one on my personal jeep and i love it

hardcore only
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 08:45 PM

Mike, if your collar isn't stuck (I re read your original post from Feb.) then the cable system would work for you but they are kind of expensive. There is a couple of things to check on the vacuum side.

1) Be certain that the main vacuum connection (the red line) is connected to manifold vacuum, not ported (carburetor) vacuum. ie. On my Cherokee XJ ( which has the same front axle as your YJ), the red line is fed from a tee on the manifold to vacuum storage cannister line. Ported vacuum won't work all the time because the vacuum signal varies too much with the throttle position.

2) Check the vacuum axle motor to make sure the diaphram isn't leaking. Also, I've heard that sometimes the diaphram itself gets stuck.

3) You can double check the t'case switch by removing the vac lines from the shift motor and shift the t'case from 2wd to 4wd and see if the signal moves to the different tubes. Good luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode