Electrical Reality Check - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electrical Reality Check

I think I may be going too far. As if my old '68 didn't have enough other stuff that needs (and is getting)attention, I will soon be tearing into the electrical system. Sometimes being of sound mind I am of course planning before cutting. The dual Optimas and the battery management system of my choice are in place. I've diagrammed TeamRush's comments on alternator wiring (good point about the sensing wire!)I've been playing around with several ideas but I'm wondering if I'm getting off track. First, for criteria, this will be a well equipped jeep of higher than normal reliability and some redundancy (how about a "limp home" wiring harness, in place but not connected for absolute basics like ignition, charge and one headlight).

One concern is the current flow behind the dashboard. In studying even some newer vehicle schematics I am not comfortable running all that current thru the ignition switch, then to the fuse block (in this case it may be circuit breakers). I was thinking of using 4 relays. One each for un-switched, accessory switched, ignition switched and hi-amp unit for other stuff like off-road lights (a winch would have it's own dedicated circuit). That way the ignition switch is only controlling the relays and a possible "I had everything turned on when the last thing I remember was a blinding blue flash down by my crotch" situation. The relays would be fed directly from the battery via a fuseable link.

I was also considering even running the fuse block feed thru a "master cut-off" soleniod (again I don't like the idea of that much current running through a switch in the dash) kind off like race cars have a kill switch.

Wud ya think?

1968 CJ-5 225 V6/T14/18/27frt/44rr

If life gets boring, risk it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:42 PM

Re: Electrical Reality Check

I think you and CJ Dave need to get together.
He has exactly the same ideas, but he has refined it to an art, and has it diagramed.

I know what you mean about adding stuff to an already shaky ignition switch.
The switch kicking a master accessory relay is a really good idea.
Be sure to incorporate a manual way to activate power if the relay goes out.
(all that has to be is a 6 or 8 Ga wire with eyes on both ends to jump around the solenoid thrown in the glove box...)

Get ahold of CJ Dave and see if he'll share his ideas...

If I can help, let me know.
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thats how the remote starter I just installed in my wife's car works. It's basicaly a remote control ignition swith triggering relays to the starter, ignition and accessories.

jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] CJ Joe.......you are an observant guy. YES....the ignition switch has way too much to do. And for that matter so does the dash feeder. We are building an entire ten-relay setup for the SNOJEEP which overcomes these problems and allows for all of the extra stuff we have added. I'll be glad to send the whole set of drawings/diagrams to you so you can see our setup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:15 AM

Some people think that ten relays are a lot, but take a look at any new car or Jeep...
Count the relays and solenoids in the 2000 model of anything...

CJ Dave has it pretty well worked out.
I'm not going to try to cover the stuff he has already worked out in detail.

CJ Dave, if you want some help posting this stuff on the BBS here, let me know and I'll help.

Later Folks,
Aaron.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That would be great, Aaron....CJ Joe has the right idea going there....some items with the accessory switch, some with ignition, some full-time, and don't forget...OIL PRESSURE dependent items! Yeah, If you could do some refining and posting, it would be big help.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think that the part number are on there, and I also posted the part numbers to the thread titled: "Amperage?"

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey CJDave, can you shoot that over to me, at my e-mail address? I would love to see how you are setting this up. This is what I'm trying to do, that I talked about in the other post. I promise I won't bug you again... this week.
Thanks, Jeff

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 10:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] JPH.....we are not going to get this BBS to the point where someone bites your head off for asking a question, no matter what or how many times. Information repeated is just information that is made MORE available. TeamRush may be able to post something on the Jeep wiring enhancement soon, so watch this page,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and ask questions.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:42 AM

I never pick on beginners that are honest about what's going on.
I try to correct mistakes or falsehoods when I see them, and that sometimes leads to a fuss or two...
I even answered the questions a 16 year old had, that had been answered three times in the thread already, and didn't get upset.
(I was just sure that was a bait too...)

If I think the question has been asked too many times, I just let some of the guys here point it out to them...
I only chime in then if I'm asked directly to, or if there is something to clear up...

It's been pretty quiet here for a while, not many spats.
Still some opinion being passed off as fact, but it's not my job to correct everything I see wrong....
as long as it's not dangerous or too silly, I keep my mouth shut....
I'm doing better not letting those with less experience bait me into any arguments...
I see others are doing the same also...

Later folks,
Aaron.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll second what you've said here about new vehicles, Aaron.
I grabbed my FSM on the '94 YJ and counted 'em. But first it needs to be said that a Jeep is a cheep and cheesy car. It ain't fancy or loaded even when it is fancy or loaded. (I'm speaking short wheelbase here!) There just aren't many extras on them.

But - in '94 the Wrangler came with 14 Relays, 28 Fuses and 3 Circuit Breakers. I know the fuse count is dead on and I believe the relay count is also but there may be more Circuit Breakers. I have a friend (a practicing electrical engineer)who has extensively modified his TJ and he says there is a lot more to it electronically and electrically than a YJ he is familiar with.
I can only guess what these numbers must be on a loaded vehicle; like a WJ Limited or some such.

I for one know just enough to get into trouble if I don't pay close attention. I await any and all communications from you, Aaron and CJDave on this upcoming subject.

sln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode