TIRE CLEARANCE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TIRE CLEARANCE

I have a 78 CJ-5 with the dana 20 and 30 axles. I have 33x12.5 tires on it currently and I am in the process of putting a body lift on to get a little more clearance in the fenders but I noticed that the rear tires clear the springs by only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in the back. they are also about an inch from the frame. is this something I need to worry about and if so....what should I do. I have the body off now so I may as well fix it (if it needs fixing) now while its torn down anyway. I have heard of people putting spacers in or longer axles (I'm open to either) but I don't know much about it.
Thanks,
Bill

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]78 CJ-5</font color=blue> all fiberglass, chev.350 .30 over, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:48 PM
TEX

Re: TIRE CLEARANCE

<font color=purple>You can continue to run the same width tire you have now or narrower, you can increase the rim width with the same backspacing, or you can decrease the rim backspacing with the same rim width. Any of these would insure that your clearance remained the same or increased.

BTW, your Jeep should indeed have a Dana 20 - but that's the transfer case. The model 20 rearend was manufactured by AMC.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, one of the joys of narrow track axles. You can do what Tex mentioned about changing wheels and backspacing or you can swap in different axles if you going to larger, wider tires. Spacers are generally not recommended. Wide track axles from a later model CJ are a cheap, direct swap. Scout Dana 44s or Waggoner axles are an option ...but will require some work to make 'em fit. Expensive custom built axles are also an option. BUT...whats your current situation and what at do you want the jeep to be in the end (if there is such a place)?

Right now your probably rubbing the rear of the front springs some on tight turns...not a big deal...just be mindful of the tight turns. If your airing down offroad, you may be getting a little closer to the rear springs. Also, flexed the rear tires will probably rub the tub some. Are the springs and/or frame shiny metal from contact? If your not rubbing and not going to wider tires, I wouldn't worry about it.
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What, if any, are the pros and cons of wide track axles vs narrow track axles. And how extensive is the modification required to run Dana 44s or Waggoner axles. If I am going to swap axles is it worth swaping to Wide track or would I be better served to just go to dana 44s and be done with it. If any one has approximate prices that they have paid it would be useful. I guess I'm unclear in exactly what is required to modify the 44s. Would I keep my current breaks or would I need new axles and breaks.
Thanks,
Bill

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]78 CJ-5 all fiberglass, chev.383, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode