spring pack ctr bolt for shim and axle mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 03:19 PM
sas87yj

spring pack ctr bolt for shim and axle mount

ok so i will have to use a larger than a 2 1/2 degree shim with my new 4.5" RE lift in order to aim pinion towards transcase as the geometry requires for a CV shaft install. the bolt that goes through the springs and holds the shim and inserts into a hole in the bottom of the axle tube will have to be longer for the thicker shim.tom woods said he was sending me some longer ones. my question is- are these bolts a b!tch to get out of the springs? they appear to be pressed in. a 9/16 nut is on the bottom. anybody ever change these out? probably back off the nut to flush with the end of the bolt and beat out? i calculate the thickness of a 12 degree shim to be 1 3/16" thick at the front! i wonder if my u-bolts will be long enough! maybe tom is off on the 12 degrees. maybe get by with less. should get the SYE and CV monday. thanks for the help! steve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-360056-shim.jpg (56.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 03:44 PM

Re: spring pack ctr bolt for shim and axle mount

Not difficult at all. Put a clamp or two on the spring pack, lock a vise grip down on the head of the center bolt, and remove the nut. The center bolt will come right out.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 03:52 PM
sas87yj

thanks jeepskate-
i'll go check it out right now. and the purpose of the clamp on the springs is so the holes in the springs stay lined up? i have the spring off now and will go do. just getting ready for the shim caper!
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 05:16 PM
sas87yj

this bbs and the computer for that matter is too slick! who would have thought we would be doing this with all this technology. thanks to you all who help each other on this bbs![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thanks again jeepskate for the quick response and this pic shows what i am doing- spring dropped, clamp on pack and yes- that bolt slips right out! you know i would have figured it out but it is so cool to get an idea of what to expect from someone who knows!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-360106-shaftangle.JPG (40.1 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 05:23 PM
sas87yj

oops
and that new millennium word "glitch" has struck again! my bad! wrong pic- this is the one i was looking for.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-360111-spring1.JPG (52.5 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now THAT's a heck of an angle on the driveshaft! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode