Off Roading Forums banner

T-999 tranny

1K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  ozarkjeep 
G
#1 ·
In cjjeepercreeper's reply to mindbender's tranny question,he mentioned a new valve body for efficiency. I am curious about this. Where to get one and how difficult is the install. I have a T-999 in my 83 CJ7 which may not have many more miles before it goes. Changing the tranny filter and fluid usually makes it run smoother for six months or so, but I've done this three times--each time I get a handful of metal shavings out of the pan! There can't be much life left in this thing. Just wanted to explore my options before I'm stranded.

jeepgator
83 CJ7/258/T-999/Howell TBI/MSD/TeamRush Ignition

G
#2 ·
There are a couple companies that make kits to modify your trans, like B&M and what the heck, brain fart, Trans-go or something
like that. Anyway, your auto manufacturer builds the trans for comfort, shifts are softer and slower and build up heat in the process.
You can go anywhere from a shift improver kit that just firms up the shifts to a completely manual valve body. The kits are easy
to install, you just drop the pan. I installed a kit in a built Olds a few years ago, it was able to chirp the tires when it hit 3rd with
a Turbo 350, now that's firmed up shifts.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

#3 ·
You can get the kit from "trans-go" call PRO-BUILT transmissions, in Cali

Dana is a great guy, and hte kit is under $30

Im pretty sure you cant get a Cheetah Fully manual valve body for a lock tranny, but you can get a transgo kit for it. so if your a lock up style then its and easy choice, stay away from BnM stuff..

either way youll need somebody to rebuild the tranny any how, get good parts inside it...an awesome rebuild kit from those guys is like $125...and the info they give alone is worth that!

OzarkJeep
In need of a T18 tranny!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.