I bought another 4WD today! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought another 4WD today!

No, it is not a Jeep, and it isn't even a truck. I bought a Dodge Stealth RT twin turbo. For about the past year I have missed my old Trans Am, sold it a year and 1/2 ago, and really feel the need for a performance car. The monthly bonuses at work have been pretty good, and I was planning on useing that for upgrades on the Jeep. I have always liked the looks of the Steath, and I had to inquire about it when I saw it, that was on Tuesday. The owner hands me the keys, and tells me to take it for a spin, I tell you what, I had a smile ear to ear for the next 2 days. I felt the car was over priced, but made him a offer. The next thing I know, he calls me back accepting my offer. Not as fast as my Trans Am was, but it is a lot more civilized, and it starts when you turn the key, unlike my TA. The planned auto tranny, and larger tires among other mods for the Jeep are now on hold. I hear that 450 horsepower is pretty easy to get out of that turbo 3.0 Mitsubishi engine. I just may have to find out.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 01:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I bought another 4WD today!

Good gawd! What T/A did you have that a Stealth R/T is slower than? Had to be an early '70's SD455, or one built late model! You can get in the area of 400-450 HP out of that motor and it doesen't even loose ANY reliability! Congrats on one cool car! BTW, what color (about 90% of them were red).

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's a roller with drivetrain now!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 06:22 AM
scram

pics please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 03:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I swapped a roller cammed ported Dart II headed 350 into a 74 Trans Am. It ran easy mid 11 second quarter mile time. I think with a little more tuning, I could have run easy 10's on DOT 10 inch wide tires. The Stealth is pearl white, and one of these day I will have to buy a digital camera, so I can post some pics. I really don't spend much time over here any more. When I found this car, I started probing around for performance upgrade info, and have decided that I am going to wheel the Jeep as is ( It's the only way I can afford both, and buy a house ). Even though horsepower is easy to get with this engine, I found out it isn't cheap. I am looking at about $4000-$5000 in upgrades to get 500+ horsepower, but I should have more than 400 horsepower within the next couple of months. Should be fun. I will try to get some pics scanned, and post them. 4 wheel burnout anyone.

Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Man, you are a lucky man! I've always loved the Stealths I'd love to see a nice 4 wheel burn out I can't wait until I get my new car. I'm picking up a '78 280z. Should be fun...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 01:14 PM
89yjsahara

Dang must be nice to afford another car.. I cant even afford to keep my jeep happy Its always wanting all these mods
Scott <><

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 5" of lift, 32x11.50 general grabber AT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 01:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Congrads, now just pull the engine out of that and graft it into the Jeep and......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I'm looking for a new (to me) everyday ride too right now that we can use to offset the number of miles my wife puts on the new 2000 F-150 4X4 we bought last year (she already has 42k on it, she drives at least 100 miles round trip everyday to work). So we decided to look for a mid 90's YJ as a supplemental vehicle that we can share and cut the miles back on her truck. It is hard to find a reasonably priced Jeep in this area. The prices range from 8-10k for around a 95 model with the 6 cylinder, but I will find one, just have to be patient.

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" SUA, AMC20 w/rear discs and Somers Bros 1 piece axle shafts, D30, 3:73's, and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Barely afford it. I just decided that since I am single, and only 34 years young, and the fast car bug bit me again, it was time to buy one. The car is inexpensive, considering the type of cars it competes aganst, and with a few mods it can compete head to head with the exotics, for less than 1/4 of the exotics price. This car is an everyday driver, so I can't get to wild on the modifications, but right now I am looking at doing a 550 horse upgrade package. It is not going to be cheap, but even building a naturaly asperated 550 horse smallblock Chevy would cost the same amount of money if built right, and a turbo car will be a lot more streetable. I could have put more money into my Jeep, but it allready wheels very good, and the problems it has, for the most part, are livable.

Ray

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW, if theres anything I like better than Jeeps its DSM's!!! I am sooo jealous of you right now. Mitsu makes some of the best turbo engines (reasonable) money can buy. Plus, both the cars and the engines are solid as a rock. A very good friend of mine has a 90 Eclipse turbo that runs mid 12's, its a 2.0L rocket!!

I am pretty big into the DSM scene, so if you have any questions about your new gem, theres a good chance I can answer them. Its [email protected]

P.S. For those who dont know DSM stands for Diamond Star Motors (the union of Chrysler and Mistubishi) and includes the Eclipse, Laser, Talon, 3000GT, Stealth, and if you really stretch the definition, the Avenger and Neon are in it too.

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX
Damn you, Firestone!! Now I have drag slicks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode