TeamRush- Yet another duraspark ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TeamRush- Yet another duraspark ??

Aaron- I know that you must be tiring of all the Duraspark questions, but here is one more. What is the best (safest) way to remove the trigger wheel from the distributor shaft to get at the advance weight springs. The manual mentions using a special pulling tool. Is this necessary? I have mine stripped down (and removing the drive gear is easy) and am ready to do the springs.Is this called a trigger wheel (not sure if this is the correct term for the reluctor type thingy that I'm trying to get off the shaft). What is the best way to remove and reinstall without tearing something up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TeamRush- Yet another duraspark ??

Finally, after 2 months of just being able to be a spectator, I figured out how this puter works. I use to do HEI conversions on my and my friends jeeps, 5 in all, now I do HEI to the Rush Ignition conversions, LOL. I am convinced it is a better way to go.
Once you get get the drive gear off, just lift out the shaft and you can change the springs with needle nose pliers.
Aaron , if you ever come to New England (I know I think it sucks here too ) the beers on me, for being a "what if " kind of man. What about Laconia??
CTjeepnut

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:02 PM

PUT YOUR ROTOR ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AND MARK THE ROTOR NOSE POSITION ON THE DRIVE GEAR!!
THIS IS IMPORTANT.
If you don't, you have a 50/50 chance of getting your gear on wrong, and your rotor phasing will be off 22 degrees...

--------------------------------

If You Need To Change Springs,

You don't have to take the reluctor off to change springs...

Just drop the drive gear,

Take off the vacuum advance, (Don't loose the little 'C' clip off of the advance arm, I stick them to a piece of tape to keep track of them)

Take two screws out of the floor plate,
One screw will be hidden under the advance plate the pickup coil is attached to. Once the vacuum advance is removed, move the advance plate and #2 can easily be removed.

And pull the entire advance assembly and all up until you see the weights and springs.

Use needle nose pliers to change springs. Be careful not to bend them putting them on...

The springs will be visible as soon as all the hardware clears the distributor housing.
This will save you a lot of time, effort, tools, disassembly and reassembly, and the loss or destruction of small parts.

If You Need To Take The Reluctor Off For Some Reason...

Most reluctors have two slots for assembly, one is retarded, and the other is 'straight up'.
Be sure to mark your reluctor so you know how to reassemble.

If you need to take the Reluctor off for some reason (say to replace the advance plate and pickup coil), use a small punch, and GENTLY drive the roll pin that holds the reluctor down some. It wont drive all the way out, so don't try, just push it down some.
Use a small gear puller to raise the reluctor.
Be sure to put a nickel on the top of the advance head stem so you don't spread the notch for the rotor out.
(Yes, that's a $0.05 nickel. Nickels are soft enough not to mar the shaft, but stiff enough to keep the gear puller from spreading the shaft)

NEVER CLAMP THE RELUCTOR IN A VICE, OR PRY ON IT IN ANY WAY!!

Even small bends in the 'Fins' will throw the individual cylinder timing off.

Does this help?
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:09 PM

I don't have anything against the north east...
It's just so easy to yank the chains of the north easterners, I just have to do it from time to time...
Entertainment when I'm bored, and there is nothing on cable...
They always take it so personally... Makes me wonder what is up...

I'll take that beer! Never let it be said I ever turned down a free beer!

Later guys!
Aaron.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, Aaron - that does clear it up. But I now have the gear off unmarked as to the rotor position ( I thought the gear would be the same even if it was 180 out). How can I get it right when I reassemble. I have another in the Jeep right now- can I compare it to the known correct one upon reassembly or is there an easier way to get it in sync? Also, I recall in an earlier post you mentioned just replacing one spring at a time and then checking the performance (creeping up on detonation?). Is there a particular spring set that can be replaced as a pair that will yield pretty good results in a stock 258?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I musta been on a different planet... The ones that I have worked on recently, all 83-86 258 CJ's, haven't even required removing the distributor from the engine. All I did, was,.... remove the rotor. Remove the reluctor (trigger wheel). The reluctor is a light press-fit on the shaft. Cafefully lift up using two screwdrivers to GENTLY pry underneath. (I know, a puller would be nice, and, I have one. But, the reluctor is not on there very tight.) While doing this, watch carefully for the little pin. You can catch the pin with your magnet, if need be. Next, remove the two screws that hold the pickup plate, and remove the plate (with the pickup still mounted). Lift out the felt in the center, that was covered by the rotor. Under the felt, find and remove the little wire clip. Little tricky... might require tweezers, ice pick, small screwdriver. Lift off the 'upper-shaft' part of the mechanism, and you are in to the whole enchalada.
Pay attention to the 'indexing', as you take it apart. It can go together two ways. The 'limit-slots' are two different lengths.
For reinstallation, I just tapped, VERY GENTLY, using a blade screwdriver and the smallest possible hammer, around the center of the reluctor, mostly tapping over where the pin is located.
Best wishes.

bobH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 12:58 PM

As for timing the distributor gear...
Any distributor gear that has an odd number of teeth, (almost all) will have a front and back.
The only way I know of to get the distributor gear back correctly is to:
Assemble and install the distributor,
Cut a hole in an old distributor cap over the #1 plug wire terminal,
Time the engine, with the vacuum advance disconnected,
Shine the timing light on the rotor, and rev the engine to see if the rotor is way before or way past the #1 terminal and/ or getting farther away...
(If it sweeps from before to past the terminal, your rotor phasing is correct.)
If the rotor starts on and moves away from the #1 terminal, or starts after the #1 terminal and moves away from the #1 terminal, your rotor phasing is incorrect.

Turning the distributor gear around 180 degrees may help with correction up to 22.5 degrees.
Also, removing the tab from the cap base or slot from the cap, and turning it a bit can help.
I also grind and move the rotor alignment tab, (up in the rotor) but that is REAL hard...

You will almost never get the correct alignment, but get it as close as you can to keeping the rotor sweep in phase with the tower it's supposed to be firing...

Remember, disconnect the vacuum advance, and plug the line during the first part of the tests.
Hook it back up and pull vacuum to see what it's doing when your vacuum advance comes in...

See attachment for a pic of the test cap I use...

Bob, I don't recommend going down through the top because;
1. Most of the time the wire clip that is under the oil felt is usually destroyed by beginners.
If you decide to do it that way, and take the reluctor and advance (pickup coil and floor plate) off,
-- the clip SPREADS open,-- It does not pinch to open it... Don't try to spread it and then pull it out... You will probably only bend it up pretty good.
Spread the clip ends, and pull the entire centrifugal advance head up...
Small distinction, but usually leads to disaster if you don't know it. That clip is virtually impossible to replace anywhere but the Factory Dealership or salvaging one from an old distributor.

2. The tools to remove and replace the clips and reluctor are not in the normal Joe's tool kits. Knowledge of disassembly and reassembly is not common.

3. Prying on the reluctor is unacceptable.
If you do 'pry' on the reluctor, make sure you do it down on the base circle, and not out on the 'fins'. If you move the 'fins' any at all, cylinder timing will be off...
If you use a gear puller to take the reluctor off, make sure the jaws get a hold of the base circle, and not the 'fins'.
The 'fins' bend VERY easy...
(Cheep tool tip: A battery terminal puller with a screw action will double as a low buck reluctor puller on Ford and Chrysler... Just use wire under the reluctor to the puller jaw hooks)

4. That's a lot more disassembly and reassembly of very small and delicate parts than dropping the drive gear and vacuum advance, and pulling two screws.
Removing and reinstalling the distributor has been covered here several times.
Almost everyone can do it, and once you get comfortable with pulling the distributor, it's much faster.

5. Pulling the entire distributor shaft keeps the correct timing on everything except the distributor gear.

6. If you pull the distributor, you can work on it ON YOUR WORK BENCH!
A HUGE plus in my book!
I'm fat & lazy, and I don't like leaning over the radiator or finder to work on anything anymore...
---------------------------------

I think either way will work, I just don't like taking the chance of loosing small parts in the field. I'd rather yank the distributor and take it to the work bench.
---------------------------------

I always hone the inside of the reluctor so it slip fits the advance head rotor shaft, and Rely on the roll pin to hold it in place.
I have never seen one fail like this, and they are a damned sight easier to remove the next time...
Don't forget to use a good quality Synthetic grease on all the wear surfaces before reassembly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-29044-TestCap.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks... Your comments are all well taken.

bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode