chevy TBI in CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

chevy TBI in CJ7

I might have the opportunity to get a hold of a TBI small block chevy. I dont know exactly what displacement it is, either 305, 350, or
maybe something else completely. I know the engine is in a chevy caprice that is apporx. an 85-89. Does anyone know what came
in those cars? And is it possible to take the TBI system off of a 305 and adapt it to work on a 350? Is there a good place to get a
wiring harness for this swap, and what would it cost?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: chevy TBI in CJ7

I'd be willing to bet that it is a 305 seein that is exactly what I did.The 305 stuff will work on a 350, but if your like me, you wont be happy with it.My engine is a little built, and the 305 stuff just wouldnt give it enough juice.I bought a harness from painless wiring through a summit catalog (218.00) I ended up getting a computer for a 350 along with a tbi off of a 350 and it still didnt work for me.I ended up getting a chip burned for it and putting a tbi off of a 454 on it.That my friend woke that motor up!!
If you get the motor along with every wire and sensor,it should all work fine.The harness can be figured out, but I found it to be to easy to just buy one. Thats my experience with it , for what its worth..

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

so the 305 tbi just wasnt enough for your 350?? The 350 I am installing is a dead stock rebuild of a 73 350. Do you think I would
have a problem with it? Keep in mind that I am not racing this Jeep, I just want it to run good, be reliable and have more power than
my 88 wrangler with a 258. All in all do you think it is worth the trouble to go the TBI route, or should I just get a good manifold and
a factory q-jet from a junkyard or something.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I had a lot of problems with was the way it ran on top end.It surged real bad at highway speeds.If you use the chip for an automatic in a standard, you have to have a speed sensor,or a chip burned to get rid of that feature.It all really depends on what you're going to do with it though.I just tried to get the best of both worlds(hwy/trail).I would almost be willing to bet that on a stock 350 it would work pretty good.I never got to start at that point, so I cant say for fact that it will run right.Just make sure that it dont run to lean,you might be able to get a performance chip for the 305 comp. that will work just fine...good luck!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode