diagnostic connectors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

diagnostic connectors

88 YJ 258 BBD -- has anyone been able to get useable info from the two diagnostic connector boxes located within the yellow rubber covered splash boxes next to the battery ? After reading the writeup about the obtainable values ( as listed in www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/diagnost.htm ), I tried to get voltage indications from the terminals via a 12 volt test light . I never got a lit bulb . If someone has been successful , will you please tell me the correct procedure for utilizing these diagnostic connectors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: diagnostic connectors

The diagnostic connectors are pretty dated. I also went through the same diagnostic info with my multimeter. Did you have a good ground for your test light? Some of the connectors should work. As Jeeps get older people tend to re-wire and fix things not nessesarily the correct way, which in turn makes thoes connectors useless.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are the first person to comment upon this question , though I posted it at another website long ago . Thank you for commenting . I believe that my test light ground was clean , though I will most certainly recheck the system . After spending countless days revitalizing the 258 sensors, wiring, carb. and hoses to stock condition , I am investigating the added value that the diagnostic connectors may provide . So far, I can not get any readings . This lead me to believe that I am missing something very basic to their testing and hoped someone who had success with these items could guide me through correctly. Has anyone picked up readins from the diagnostic connectors? If so , how?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only thing I accomplished with the connectors was, making sure the stepper motor was working correctly, you should get an On-Off-On-Off on your test light or meter. This indicates the motor is working to adjust the leaness of the carb. Other than that most of the ports or holes just indicate an open or closed circuit. I didn't find much use for them.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was finally able to make sense of these connectors --only because I finally got a 12 volt signal from D2- 11 and D2-14 (besides the superfluous 12v married to the battery 12 volts ) which correspond to the cycling of the stepper motor . Now I realize that the diagnostic connectors should provide confirmation that juice is getting to several key circuits . As all of mine were tesing negative , I now know to troubleshoot the cause - in my case , I suspect a faulty MCU is not sending appropriate signals. More to learn here.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

If you're dead-set on getting all your stock engine management equipment (MCU, sensors, stepper motor), these connectors are useful. I tested them according to the ORC 258 article with a voltmeter. The readings I got were far from precise, but at least I was able to determine that everything including the MCU was functioning. No readings at these connectors could mean a lot of things, but a faulty MCU is a usual suspect.

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode