tow hook and recovery - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tow hook and recovery

i dont know how many of you read my recent post, but it just said im takin out my jeep muddin for the first time. i need some tow hooks before i go though just in case. right now im in class, but me and my friend just went outside to check and see where we could put them (dont tell nobody). i saw where they could go in the back, but the front, i didnt see any place besides the bumper, but no im not an idiot so...just no, not goin there. where do yall have yours? i have a 2000 TJ by the way if that makes much of a difference. thanx, later.

2000 TJ
2.5L 4cyl.
30" timberline AT's (yeah i know theyre cheap, but they were on there when i got it and i dont have much money right now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tow hook and recovery

The front tow hooks mount to the top bumper mounts and frame. For the back, unless you have a 2" receiver hitch, you'll probably have to get a special tow hook from Jeep that bolts to the left rear frame.

hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Just get the ones from Wal-Mart with the clips, I think they're $7 each. Or you can look on Ebay and get the smaller ones for $50. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How does this look for front and rear tow hooks? Also, disconnect the swaybar (tie it up out of the way, and yes you can drive on the road like that) before you go out and air down to about 12-15 psi when you hit the trail, you won't believe the difference, even with "normal" tires.

Oh, and before you ask, that thing on the front is the hi-lift mount. Very simple, easy to make, cheap, and sturdy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN - You don't talk to much about your TJ or is that yours?

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 07:44 PM
scram

I know who owns that tj dont i jeepn. I do believe the owner was in my door yard just last nite looking at some tires. So jeepn c ya next week!!!! SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 07:50 PM

Easier than installation on an XJ[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

30" A/Ts ? ...forget the hooks, Go to the hardware and buy (2) 16" pieces of 5/16 chain , 2 bolts/8 washers/ 2 locknuts, get 2 snatchstraps and chain one to each axle and leave them on until you wash it.

Edit... I told your story to a Mudder I know.. He said Don't Go muddin with those tires, they are for emergency only! Put them back in the glovebox, and put the real ones on.

; )
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a better way to mount the hooks in the back. One hole is there one side of the frame rail) and the other has to be drilled completely through. Make sure you put a 2x4 or something there so you dont punch a hole in the plastic gas tank.

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:54 PM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>JEEPN - You don't talk to much about your TJ or is that yours?</font color=blue>

It's supposed to be the wifes, but I drive the snot out of it. It's an awesome jeep, been one of the best vehicle's we've ever owned. I have written some on it, but only when it's warranted, very capable though, even in nearly stock form. I also have a Commando SC-1, but it's kinda in the wings as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode