I THINK I'VE GOT PROBLEMS??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Robert87yj

I THINK I\'VE GOT PROBLEMS???

An up date, for those who are new to the board or haven't read the posts about the previous problems that I've had. I've been having problems with my 4.0 head on 4.2 block leaking antifreeze down the sides of the block.. the exposed water jackets were sealed on two different heads that were installed. The first one was sealed up by the mechanic who rebuilt the 258 for me. I would have rebuilt it my self, but being a fulltime senior at a local university and working 30-35hrs a week didn't leave me with a lot of free time. The YJ was my daily driver so I didn't want to have a lot of down time. But it's pretty ironic how things work out.

Anyway, the first head was botched by the mechanic who rebuilt the engine. It was filed up about half way with some sealant compound he used, it wasn't epoxy. The antifreeze ate through and eventualy started to leak, first on the manifold side and then eventually all around the engine. My dad, getting tired of hearing me complain bought a "hesco" 4.0 conversion head. I put it on and....wouldn' you believe it....it is leaking on the manifold side of the engine. I have not even driven it yet. I have let it idle in the driveway twice, once up to operating temp and the second time just for a couple of minutes. Both times it leaked on the manifold side.

So I start thinking that the mating surface on the engine isn't flat. I checked it with a straight edge before I put the new head on and didn't see a problem, but it still leaks not as bad, but then I haven't even driven it yet. I'm pretty pissed at the moment. The only thing that I can think of is that I need to yank the engine out and get the block decked. Rigt now that is my only idea on how to solve it. I know that it is hard to think through problems when you're pissed, so I need a little help. <font color=blue>Is there any other possible solution that anyone can think of? possibly switching to a 258 head gasket, but that is probably a bad idea b/c all the documentation about the swap says to use the 4.0 head gasket.</font color=blue> Well, its the only other idea I've come up with... please help if you can...

Thanks in advance

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue> (jeep is down need a new head)
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I THINK I\'VE GOT PROBLEMS???

This may seem simple, but it has worked for me. First retorque the head. Then get some of those tablets from a GM dealer, we used to call em Cadillac Tabs, and drop a few in the radiator. Reason we called em Cadillac tabs is that Caddys were notorious for leaking head gaskets and this fixed em every time. It may be worth a try.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:23 PM

i have used this stuff with great success, K&W Block Seal. READ THE DIRECTIONS! its alot better than the dust you put in the radiator, it actually works. i have used it sucessfully 3 times. hope this helps. matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:53 PM
brendan

Did you re-use the old head bolts? They can fatigue, making it impossible to properly torque the head down. Brendan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are three freeze plugs on the side of the engine under the manifold, which on an 87 may have begun to rot away. Or if they were accidently bumped in to they may have unsealed. They are about 3/4 inch diameter, and cost about 50 cents each. Could be a possibility. While idling, check to see if the antifreeze is leaking in a concentrated area or areas. Don't know if that helps, but is cheap and relatively easy to fix. I only know this because I replaced my freezeplugs a month ago when I started leaking antifreeze out of my intake manifold.

'88 Wrangler 258 i6, bare bones (but not for long)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 08:00 PM
Robert87yj

Thanks for the replys. I just got back into town from a good break from the jeep.

Head bolts were new. The engine is a fresh rebuil, so I don't think that they are a problem. The headgasket is new so I was thinking to retorque the head bolts to see if that would help. It seems like the most logical thing since everthing is practically new or rebuilt on the engine. After that I'm going to have a talk with a local mechanic to see what he suggests. I'd hate to have tohave the block milled. Then I'd have to take it out. Although With all of the practice I've gotten over the last few months, I could probably have it out in a couple of hours.

thanks for the suggestions.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue> (jeep is down need a new head)
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode