Hard starting with weber? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hard starting with weber?

The new weber is a fantastic improvement for my jeep, its like a new vehicle. The onle complaint I have is that it takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking to start if it sits for a couple of hours. I did a search on this and found it is a common problem, but I didn't find any solutions. I was wondering if a electric fuel pump would help and if so has anyone else installed one. Any ideas or advice appreciated.
Thanks
Ed
89 YJ 4.2 weber tf999

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hard starting with weber?

Most of us just live with the little annoyance. IMO, an electric pump would probably help, but why bother!?

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 03:34 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I tend to look at it this way, when it's not starting for those 20-30 seconds, it gives your oil pressure a chance to come up and everything gets oil before the added stress of the engine actually firing up. Might help add (at least a little bit of) longevity to the engine because of that... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the exact same problem.
On thing I noticed is: Instead of cranking nearly continuous for 30 seconds, it seems to help to crank it for like 8 seconds... Sit for a few beats, and then go.

I'd love to hear a good solution, just because its a little embarresing to have to crank your truck a couple times.
(my thinking is that after all the time I put into improving my YJ, its a shame my roommate's neglected Civic starts better)

One other note: Mine seems to be cold-related and isn't nearly as bad when its warm out.

Sam88Jeep

'88 YJ, 4.2L, 32/36 Weber, Jacobs Ign.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to pump the gas 6-8 times then 5 seconds of cranking it starts up. The weber does not cold weather.

87 Wrangler, 258, weber, aluminum valve cover, TR igintion upgrade, rs5000, 3 inch body lift, 31x10.5 BFG t/a, nerfs, interior bed liner paint, no rust, riged for the beach
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wow, that is great news...

My newly installed Weber does the exact same thing. I thought I was going to have to fix it. What a relief, one less thing on the CJ that needs fixing.LOL

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 10:17 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

I pump the crap out of my $10 weber 32/36 and it starts as soon as I hit the key, 75% of the time . Can`t beat it!

82 cj-7,258,hei,weber,np435,D-300, superior axles
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:03 PM
joeybcdt

I have an Edelbrock/Weber 4 barrel. After it sits for a while, the gas drains out of the bowl. I can either pump the gas 6 or 7 times or I can drain the batteries. After 6 or 7 pumps, it cranks right up.

Joey

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 09:18 AM

My Weber 38 does the same thing, it sure is a commen problem. I have had it on my Jeep for over 10 years, but it seems to be getting worse over time.
The first thing to check with this problem is that you have the correct 3 port fuel filter installed, with the off set return line positioned at the top of the filter.
Also, some have suggested that the fuel pump might be worn or internally leaking/bypassing and allowing fuel to drain back to the tank. I bought one for $12.00 from the local parts store, but haven't had time to swap it out yet to see if this fixes the problem.
Finally, another solution would be to install a one way check valve somewhere in the fuel supply line to absolutely prevent fuel from draining from the line. If the new pump doesn't cure the problem, that's my next step.
Bob in Ma

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks to everybody who replied. It's reassuring to know that it is a common problem and not just me.
E89 YJ 4.2 weber tf999

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode