CJ7 Quadratrac - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 Quadratrac

Does anyone have any comments/pro/cons on Quadratrac on '76 CJ7? I am considering purchasing one and would like to have a trailworthy rig. I have heard some people say that QT cannot handle much abuse. I also plan on putting a part time conversion from Mile Marker. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ7 Quadratrac

I liked mine. The worst thing I did was put the part-time kit in it. The down side is the chains do stretch and after
60 to 100 thousand miles it will need replacement.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Official Historian

I like mine too. I put lockout hubs on the front due to the locker and just lock the transfer case. Still have full-time for snow and off road.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like my q-trac. It isn't as weak as people would have you believe. If you do a search of quadratrac and read everything by cjdave you can learn alot. He is the resident expert. Unfortunately, he is in the land of tree huggers and gun grabbers, The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, at the moment. My recommendation is, if the price is right buy it. Oh, if it doesn't have a gear reduction unit find one. Not only does it give you a low range, but it also allows you to flat tow the jeep without disconnecting anything. Just my opinion.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pass it up!
The part time kits help, but there are much better choices. A 1976 eh ?, does it have drum brakes on front ? , mine did, if it does...run away ! Other items that sucked on my 76', manual brakes, manual steering and a funky rollbar set-up.

I seem to have blocked most of the details out, but I do remember that my Quadratrac didn't explode on the first real tough spot we came up to, it made it about 15 feet past that, then it puked the tiny little gear that held it in 4wd and the chain and all the little pieces flopped out of it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GaryL

If my memory serves, it is an automatic and has a QT dial in the glovebox and a tiny shifter on the floor board. I am assuming it does have a low range. If it doesnt have a low then how much are we talking for a gear reduction?

BTW

Does $3500 sound like a fair price?

Sorry for so many questions ... Just new to the jeep world

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it has a shifter on the floorboard then it has low range. $3500 sounds high, unless it is in great shape. To give you some comparison, I paid $900 for my 76 CJ-7. It came with a 304, TH400 trans, Q-trac without a low range, AMC 20 rear with 2 piece axles (one was blown), Dana 30 front, drums all around, PS, PB, rear shackle mounts that rotted away, etc.

I spent $300 on Superior Axle & Gear 1 piece axles, $100 for a low range unit from someone on this board, rebuilt the rear of the frame, bought 33" Goodyear MT's for $300, replaced brake lines, brakes, all filters, new gas tank, fuel lines, fabricated a new rear bumper, welded the rear diff and more. All together I spent an additional $1000 to get it trail worthy. $600 of that was axles and tires though. The only thing left is to replace the tub or rebuild my body mounts.

The AMC 20 is known for weak two-piece axles and axle tubes, but there are ways around that by buying 1-piece axles and welding the tubes. The ring gear and pinion are huge and bigger than a Dana 44's. A lot of guys don't like the Q-trac, but if you take care of it, it can hold up. I would rather have a gear driven case, but the Q-trac is what I've got and CJ Dave has some great mods that make it better. Will is another Q-trac guru.

The Q-trac has a vacuum switch in the glovebox that switches between normal and emergency mode. In normal, the tcase allows the front and rear outputs to differentiate much like the an open rear end. Emergency mechanically locks the front and rear together for more traction. The trans is bulletproof and usually found in full-size 3/4 or 1 ton GM trucks.

I haven't done it yet, but you can convert the front drums to discs by using some chevy parts, or swapping out the knuckles outward with a disc brake Dana 30.

If you can get a picture, post it, a lot of guys can help you out.

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve

This CJ is in OK shape. It needs some TLC but now that I look at the price that you paid for yours Im beginning to think twice. The only real thing this rig has going for it is new lift kit and decent 33" MT. I think the only reason he is selling it for that price is the fact the he way overpaid for it about 8 months ago. Anyway, I would love to know where you found a CJ (running) for 900 bux. Let me know the best places to look for good prices for one of these. I live in TX and have been checking the Truck Trader with not much luck. Everything in there is well above even $3500.

Thanks again

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$3500 does sound a bit high, but a lot depends on the condition of the jeep and what upgrades or conversions have been done that you would have done yourself. For example, if it is already lifted and you would have done that later anyway then that is $400 you won't have to spend on down the road. Check for frame damage and rust. Cracks are normally found near the front spring hangers and rust near the rear crossmember. AMC Jeeps came from the factory with rust on the body as standard equipment so if the body isn't too bad I wouldn't worry. Basicly, if the frame is good, it will do what you want it to do, and its got a few upgrades it may be worth $3500. Of course I'd do a lot of research on Jeeps and decide if this is the one you want and then start out offering about $2000.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

waterz:

I'm with dirtrod...pass it up. Aside from the good points dirtrod makes, the 76 model was a transition year...it had some of the bad parts from both the earlier and later year models. The 2 piece of sh*t rear axles is one, front drum brakes is another, old style heater set up, a channel frame instead of the boxed in version that started in 77 and the narrow track axles. Rear drums were 10" instead of 11" like 77 on.

I blew my q-trac apart too, but I'm hard on parts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I like a gear driven case like the D20 or, even better, the Dana 300.

You can find a CJ in Texas alot better than that for the same money this guy wants. I was trying to find a buyer for an 86 that a guy had to dump just last week. I wanted it bad. It was a great deal, but my wife would have shot me. It had 2 1/2" lift, NEW 33 BFG muds on 15x10 aluminum wheels, one piece Summit Bros. rear axleshafts, 4:56 gears, Detroit locker in the rear, Warn "Ford style" hub conversion on the front, Howell fuel injection on rebuilt 258 w/header, Flowmaster exhaust, spare Weber carb., roll cage, new Bestop soft top, Ramsey Pro Plus winch, York on board air, and a few other things that escape me now....All for $4500. I know the guy had close to $10,000 in the jeep, but had to sell fast as he was transfered to Wisconsin or something.

So keep looking. E-mail me and tell me where you are and I'll e-mail you with any other good deals I find that my wife wont let me have.

Shain

77 CJ7, D44s, Detroits, 4:27s, 35 SSRs, HS9500i
84 CJ8, 33s, REP8000
70 Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode