OT- Need help with broken hood release - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

OT- Need help with broken hood release

Okay, so one of my professors has an 87 Vette and he said the hood release broke. I assume he meant the cable. He also said that anyone who could fix it, or at least tell him how to fix it will not have to write a final paper. So, I would like for this to be me not having to write one more paper. Anyone with ideas, please let me know..

Thanks

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: OT- Need help with broken hood release

Okay---anyone have an idea? He upped the ante and said the whole class would get out of the final paper. C'mon guys, there are some good looking women in this class who I would love to make very happy.

thanks,

Sean

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmm...
well see this is tough. At a camp I work in over the summer one of the beater trucks had the cable break, they had to get into it with a crowbar and hammer. The only think I could possible think of for a vette, would be to somehow unbolt the hinges and then you can slide the whole hood over enough to bypass the latch on the release. Of course his is all dependant on undoing the hinges somehow from underneath or something. Of course he could always take off the entire front nose and then he could easily get to the release. Sorry this isn't much help. TOugh problem though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 12:40 AM

BFH[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/TH400/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:08 AM
Wrangler88

well if u can find the cable, under the hood, by laying under neither the car, u could cut it with something, then grab the cable with a big pair of plier and give it a yank, thats if u can find the cable and cut it.do some research on how they work, my buddies got an 83 which doesn't help much but i'll ask him if knows how..and get back ta ya! good luck!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I don't think he'll like the idea of a BFH being involved. He said that a maunal he read said something about an emergency cable type thing being on either side of the hood...this hood opens back to front remember..and he said he couldn't find the cables to pull...

My thinking was..find the broken cable and yank on it, as someone suggested..I'll have to see this car and get underneath..hope he has ramps..

Thanks for the help guys....

Sean

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 06:57 AM
Way Outta Control

Hop down to the local dealer and let them know the problem. Pick the mechanics brains a bit. Their the first place I'd be looking at....

Is there an access protal through the firewall from which you can acess the cable?

LEVE
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with LEVE, If I could help I would. I think that you ought to be able to find someone that will help at a repair shop or something. Tell them your story, they are sure to help you.

Swavy00

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
--Ronald Reagan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Activate the headlights if you have the recessed style, remove the headlight bulb on the DRIVERs side( thats the route of the cable), remove the headlight backing assembly and you will be able to snake your hand in there with a normal set of pliers after you feel around and find the cable. Pull with the pliers and you are free, some times you can just reach and there will be a metal piece you can can pull on to open the hood after you put some downward force on the hood to ease the latch force on the hood. 1986-1990 Corvettes have weak cables. Thats the easy part.. now try to snake the 'new' cable in is a PINTA... theres no room in those cars anyways.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode