Questions regarding 4" lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Questions regarding 4\" lifts

I've gone and ordered the Tera Flex 4" lift, 4.10s and new rims with 33's. Question is, do I need a Short Shaft kit to help correct the driveline...is this my only option? I really want this thing to be done right, but am not sure what driveline upgrades I need. Thanks for the help. I've also got the D44 and the factory "locker", do I need to replace this also? Thanks for any help.

-Dan

'01 TJ 4.0ltr Sport 5spd...stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Questions regarding 4\" lifts

ok...herfes the deal.. you need a slip yoke eliminator kit of some kind with a cv driveshaft. also, the facftory unit in the back is a limited slip or "posi"....not to be confused with a locker.. a limited slip does just that.. limits slip...whereas a locker(detroit, lockright, or ARB) will lock the axleshafts together whenever you need the traction.. usually the trac-loc(factory limited slip) will work fairly well for about 40k miles..then it wears out.. but it will never give the performance of a true locker. true lockers have poor road manners though(except the ARB)

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plan on the SYE kit,I put a 3 1/2" lift on my 90 YJ,the vibration is BAD!!!!!!!!!! Guaranteed with 33's your factory locker will never see 40k with any off roading involved.
Edder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, Now, having just looked around the net...I've found a bunch of kits...which should I look at?
The Tera Flex NP231 Short Haft kit?or?
The 231 Transfer case correction kit (which is 3 times the above kit!!!)
Or, the Rubicon Express transfer case correction kit for only $100?

I love having choices...but man, talk about some serious money for the tail shaft kit offered by 4wheel pafrts at $659!!!

Thanks,
Dan

'01 TJ 4.0ltr Sport 5spd...stock for now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 07:53 PM
sas87yj

i know you have a tj but our jeeps are similar with short rear shafts and i just lifted my yj 4.5" RE extreme. the shaft angle changes dramatically. you could drop the transcase with included pucks which would better the angle and shim the axle with a 2.5 degree shim provided. dropping the transcase looses some of what you were trying to gain with the lift. remember too the distance from the diff to the transcase has lengthened so you need a longer shaft. i would recommend a slip yoke eliminator which will gain you roughly 4" of shaft length which will be taken up with a CV joint. you might check tom woods price athttp://www.4xshaft.com. $600 for SYE and CV shaft-shipping paid along with a $75 core for the old transcase parts and shipping paid on that too. net cost to you = $525. also you can see how tom wants the diff to look up at the rear of the transcase with the CV design which will still require an axle shim or re-position the spring perches. again i am not sure if this all applies to your coil spring jeep but tom will help you on a toll free line.
steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DOnt drop the t-case. you can get up to 5.5" lift on that TJ without a t-case drop if you get the sye kit and cv shaft. Make sure you get the "heavy duty" eliminator kit. this is a heavier shaft that is shorter versus getting a cut down long shaft. Tera and JB conversions are two names that have very reliable kits.

Axlesupagain[http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2]
98 TJ 6.25" lift, 35" BFG's D44/D30 detroits,
96 XJ 4.5" lift, 31"BFG's 8.25/D30,lockright
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 06:46 AM
sas87yj

hey axle-
how much did you shim your axle? do you have any pics of either rig showing the shaft angles? after installing my 4.5" i am waiting for SYE and CV shaft from tom wood. after giving him some measurements he is sending me a 12 degree shim to aim pinion towards transcase. how did you handle the steep angle?
thanks,steve

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put 8 deg. shims in my rear for my RE 4.5 lift. With a Currie SYE that put the pinion about 2 in below the out put. Which is a good operating angle.

Which ever SYE kit you get, look for one thing. No core charge. If they are doing a core charge then they are just cuting down the stock shaft(cut down stock output=weak). Go ahead and save yourself some problems and get one that doesn't require a core to be assured that you will be getting the best. If you have to do a SYE there is no sense in being cheap, do it right. JB Conversions, Tom Woods, and Drivelineman(that hangs out here from time to time) offer what you need. I have found out that alot of the suspension mfgs. that offer SYE's simply use the JB stuff rebagged(Skyjacker, etc.). Bayou Geep(no not mispelled) has the one offered by Driveline man on special.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

All of the SYE kits that you can get through Tom Woods have a core charge.

Denis &lt;&gt;&lt;
'92 YJ i6, 32x11.5x15 bfg ATs, 4.5 RE lift is coming soon
http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1570804&f=0
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 05:52 PM
sas87yj

dennis- have you started or finished your lift yet? how's it going?

yjason- yeah i don't know what tom does with the left-over transcase parts that he says he will give me $75 for and pay shipping. i bought the heavy duty AA/JB conversion kit. probably get whichever he has - advance adapter or jb conversions. also the shaft is custom built by tom- not a universal fit. it better be top of the line for $525!
steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode