Convert to serpintine belt? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Convert to serpintine belt?

Hello all-

This is my first post here. Almost all questions I've had have been asked/answered already. Searching this forum has
resulted in a wealth of info for me. I want to thank everyone for that.

Here's my question:
I have an 87 yj w/258, and v-belts. I'm in the process of
a rebuild, 4.0 head conversion and mopar mpi. If i get the
serpintine dampener for the mpi and assessories off of
a 4.0l cherokee, will they line up? It seems to make sence
in theory, however, I've heard the mpi dampener uses a
5 or 6 (not sure) grove belt and cherokees use an 8 groove.

I'm thinking cherokee because they are common in u-pull-it
yards around here. I understand I need a reverse rotation
waterpump and the fan on cherokees are offset. I just want to get my ducks in a row before I start ordering parts.

jeepdawg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Convert to serpintine belt?

The Mopar damper is 6 groove. It almost lines up. BUT, it sticks out about 1/2 " beyond the rest of a 4.0L setup. I did just what you are thinking. I used the alt/compressor mount from a 2.5 TJ(left side) and a 4.0L ps /adjustor/idler from a TJ. TJ ps hoses work with some bending on my CJ (85)Basically bolted on. Had to do some very minor "adjusting".

You are right. a reverse rotation water pump is needed. And a fan from a TJ as well. I pulled out the ps pully slightly and to help the alignment issue. Works fine so far. All were 6 groove belts.

I see a new damper setup in the new 4wd harware catalog for 4.0Ls.. maybe the offset is right on this one??

99 TJ: 01 XJ: 85 CJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Another thought would be to use a 4.0l H.O. flywheel, and use the original mounting location in the bell-housing. This would allow you to salvage all of the parts for the SPFI kit from a junkyark Cherokee. I believe that the mounting location is already in the bell-housing of an '87 YJ, but the tone notches on the flywheel were cut for the Renix system, and the SPFI kit uses the Mopar fuel injection.

If you went this route, I would recommend buying a new harmonic balancer for a 4.0. as they are prone to come apart and get replaced often. I have the serpentine setup from a XJ in my CJ now, and don't like it. My new engine uses the SPFI harmonic balancer and alternator setup that CU4WHLN described. Another source for the brackets is from a ZJ, which is the same setup that TJ's use, and may be a little easier to find in a junk yard.

I would also recommend using the Nippendenso alternator, which is controlled by the pcm, this will keep the check engine light out, has a 95 amp rating, and uses zenior diodes with the flyback protection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replys...

I will look a my belhousing for the crank sensor mount. Since I didn't have factory injection, I didn't even think to look. My plan was, get a t5 belhousing (which I just purchased on eBay for $25) to save on adaptors when installing WC t5 and to convert to external slave. I think the cost of mopar balancer is close to the adaptor. anyway.. it's still an option.

CU4WHLN, I just got that catalog the other day, I will check out the new dampener. But what really got me thinkin... you said the dampner stuck out too far... if the mopar dampener has the same offset as the stock 4.0l... I haven't had my crank machined yet... I should be able to have the it cut down to the same length as the 4.0l crank. Anyone have a 4.0l crank they can measure for me?

jeepdawg

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't think that cutting the crank is the way to correct balancer problem. If you look at both balancers side by side you can tell. The grooves for the pully are machined in a different location as the stock 4.0l. The problem is that the balancer is going to be right up against the timing cover. It isn't off 1/2 inch, more like 1/4 inch, which isn't that bad. I just shimmed out my alternator mount and didn't press my p/s pully on all the way, and it seems to work just fine.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, after a closer look this morning, I see that trimming the crankshaft wont work. oh well... it was a thought.

dorfs, I noticed you posted several months ago about 4.0 - 4.2 starter-flywheel combos. My flywheel needs a new ring gear. I was going to replace w/4.0 gear and use the gear-reduction starter. Will it work or do I need a whole 4.0 flywheel?

jeepdawg

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, let's do some review... There are 3 different serpentine offset dimensions. the 4.0L is the most recessed because when we put it in the XJ, it was a VERY tight fit.

Needed every inch to fit the long 4.0L in. Remember, the XJ was originally designed to use the (yuk!) 2.8 V 6.

So the belt drive was moved as far back as possible. The YJ motors had more space as it was designed for the 258/4.0L engines from the get go.

Anyway, my home brew set up works even though I have some slight misalignment.

So... Good luck!

99 TJ: 01 XJ: 85 CJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I seen in 4wd hardware they have a vibration damper set up for v belts($194.00) part#P5249687,page 93 in the new book.
Edder

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 10:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

Jeepdawg, I,m not sure about the ring gear thing. I thought that the '87's should already have the gear recuction starter. Does your flywheel have some tone notches machined into it now? On my '83 258, the flywheel was thicker than a 4.0's., with no notches. I thought the '87 and newer 258's, were the same as the later 4.0's, but with different notches for the Mopar fuel system. These had tone notches machined into them for the early Renix fuel system. I guess that what I always thought was all flywheels with tone notches used the gear recuction starter.

I was at a yard yesterday cutting out a harness for another project, and noticed an '87 YJ with the engine pulled. It had a ba-10/5 with the mount for the sensor, but that was about all that was there. I bribed the owner with a box of fresh made German pasterys, and guess what, He gave me all of the wires I hacked from a Grand Cherokee, and another complete 5.9 core for a builder. He is even delivering it to the shop on monday for me, as it wouldn't fit in the Saab, way cool!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great idea, feed the guy at the junkyard! I'll have to get there around lunch time with some BBQ chicken wings. chicken...mmmm...good...

I have the BA-10/5. It looks like there is a mount for a CPS, but the flywheel doesn't have notches. The starter is the old style. Maybe those wings will get me a 4.0 flywheel

Anyway, I should probably just go with the stuff I already have (v-belts, reg starter) instead of tring to get tricky. I have PLENTY of other stuff to do. The front d44 is nearly ready to go in, the rear d44 is waiting to be stripped, dipped, and rebuilt. The 4.0 head is ready, the engine block is at the machine shop, the new transmission is ready... LOT$ to do. The goal was to have this project ready by spring. looks more like mid-summer.

jeepdawg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode