Auto tranny question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto tranny question

The auto tranny on my 92 YJ doens't want to shift form 1st to 2nd first thing in the morning. It shifts out of first, the rpms go up, and 2nd finally catches with a little tire chirp. Shifts great any other time. Does it just need to warm up? Hope so. Don't want to spend the $$$ on a rebuild.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto tranny question

I had this trouble on my wifes truck when I lived in Alaska. Does it get better when warm?

If it's the cold, RTV a battery pad to the transmission pan and the fluid will be warmer.

(Transmission fluid is doesn't get too thick in the cold like (non-syn) oil)

Go hard or go home
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cold is a relative term for me. I live in Florida. It does happen when the fluid is thickest though. After sitting for a couple of hours its fine, but after sitting all night, it does it right at first, then it works great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:40 PM

sounds more like the clutch bands in the tranny are startin to slip might be low on fluid or might need the filter and fluid changed

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that your problem is in the filter. You didn't say how many miles were on the tranny so I'm guessing that it is time. The reason that it is happening when it is cold is because the fluid is thicker and cannot get through the filter material. When you change the filter, go with a brass screen unit. These are a better unit and will not clog as easy.

One final note, if your tranny is already slipping, chances are a fluid and filter change won't help. Just as a blood transfusion can't remedy heart disease, fresh ATF won't repair internal damage.

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:36 PM

jungledog gives great advice! and from a New guy even!

if it does it with a fresh filter and fluid then you might have a problem.

if it slips then thats a whole other problem IE "clutch bands" ??!!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JungleDog.. nice advise.. great post.. love to see more "newbies" giving great advise.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the compliment guys. I'm not sure why my profile says I registered in January 2001 but I've been here for awhile...lurking about and very rarely posting. I look and read and absorb the knowledge that is posted here.

While a young man, I worked at a transmission shop to help pay for college. I originally started just removing and reinstalling them and then was taught to rebuild them. At different times of my life when times were tough, I would rebuild a tranny here and there that was brought to me. I really like to work with my hands but learned that I would not want to do this for a living (being a full time mechanic) however, I do love to work on my own vehicles (Jeeps and aircraft).

85 Cj7, 360, TH 400, D300, Pro-jection, D44's, M/T's 35's, 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, can anybody tell the newbie how to change the fluid and filter? New to the jeep scene and need some help. Thanks for the advice so far.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 06:59 PM

get a service book, prefereably a factory service manual, but a Chiltons or Haynes will do usually ( although Ive found there tranny capacities to be wrong a few times)

basically drain the pan, lostening bolts one corner more than others, remove pan, clean well, search for debris or metal.

un screw filter, install new filter, scratch head, and drink 3 beers while trying to figure which hole the old filter was mounted too ( on TF727 at least)

fight with pan gasket to lie flat on pan, rebolt pan, remove and readjust gasket, torque the bolts to proper spec, dont over tighten, refill tranny.

spill tranny fluid all over driveway, one one shoe thus ruining the pair. then wait several days to find someone to accept the 2 gallons fo old smelly red stuff.

if its a TF tranny, the gasket/filter kit is about $14.

Get a abook, really, you can do big $$$ damage if you mess this up, my instructions arent complete just and idea of whats involved.

take it to Quickie lube and get a quote, proabbaly a bargain unless you liek to truin clothes.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode