Borla Header on 4.0 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Borla Header on 4.0

I have an exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold and am wondering if replacing it with a header is worth the cash. Bugging me right now because of the nice ticking sound and some mild fumes in the cab with the top on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Borla Header on 4.0

Have you got the header style manifold or the cast?
I've heard that the Borla is less expensive than buying a new manifold from Jeep and the welds crack on the tube style all the time, so there's a short supply of good ones at the wreckers.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Couldn't tell you. What's the difference?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Basically the stock headers suck. Its hard to find a YJ where that hasn't happened.

I am in the process of replacing mine with a Clifford unit. Cheaper than OEM from the dealer but it does require a downpipe modification. I believe that the Borla unit is a bolt on but it is also $100 more than the Clifford header.

I know Pacesetter makes one too but I'm not too confident in their products having seen some of their import products.

'94 YJ - 4.0, 6" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Having been down this road before I would suggest going with an aftermarket header. First time my manifold cracked I replaced it with a new one. Couple years later it cracked and a friend gave me a replacement, after all the hassle of installing it, it only lasted a week or so (probably already cracked). Then went to another used manifold, still working 2 years later but if I had to do it again I would save all the B.S. and just get a Clifford. Haven't heard anything negative about them and they are less money. John

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tips guys, but where are you doing your shopping? Cheapest Clifford I have found is $289, Borla $309. Can I do better on Clifford elsewhere? What mods have to be done to the downpipe with Clifford?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode