Rear Axle Seals AMC20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:34 PM
Sully

Rear Axle Seals AMC20

I just got finished doing a brake job and was hopeful that the fluid that ruined the first pair of shoes was just brake fluid from a bad wheel cylinder - but after opening it up again today, it looks like it is indeed diff fluid? leaking down the axle into the drum - does this mean I need new seals? wheel bearings? Remind me are the axle seals in the AMC20 on the inside near the diff or outside near the wheel bearings? Any suggestions about whether to attempt this myself or just to take it to a professional. TIA

Sully
84' CJ7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Axle Seals AMC20

There are two seals one on the axle tube near just inside where the bearings ride. That keeps dif. fluid oil from coming into bearing area. This would mean that the bearings need to be greased from time to time.

There is also another seal on the outside of the brake backing plate. this is to keep dirt, dust, contaminents from wheel bearings.

Do not try and use old seals, new inners are about $3 a piece, outer a little more, not much more, but if your getting oil coming out the seal, I would guess the inner is leaking....

Do you have a service manual to check this out. I am going from memory, taken mine out many times, 4 months ago went to 1 piece axle shafts.

Pretty easy job that can be done by the average weekend warrior. Take your time and remember where all things came from. Really not difficult at all.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 02:54 PM
Sully

So the inner seal isn't too hard to change either? I won't have to mess with the diff or anything?
I will check the Chiltons manual thoroughly, but all input is welcome becuase I want to know all the tricks before I start this job. TIA

Sully
'84 CJ7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think there are any inner seals on the rear axles, just on the front. On the rear there are just the outer seals. You can access them by taking the axles out, and removing the backing plate that holds the brake parts together. If you have trouble taking the axles out, put your brake drum on backwards, and tighter three lugs, and pull hard like a slide hammer. Make sure you have the four bolts out that are behind the backing plate.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:56 PM

How about a nice Picture
#17 is what you want.

Pigpen
76 CJ5 360/T18A/Bronco gear D20/D30 big brake disc, locker/D44 big drum working on disc/ factory slip/4inch lift/33's/6000lb winch/All Fiberglass/electric fan/full cage/ appetite for MUD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-358308-AMC20diagram.JPG (67.0 KB, 15 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, there are inner seals that separate diff fluid from wheel bearings. Looking at the below attached pic. inner seal is is #17 and the second is outer seal #20. And no you do not have to take the diff cover off to accomplise this.

From what you describe as problem, I think you will need to replace #17 only. While you are there repack bearings(replace if needed) but if replacing, you will need to take it to a place or shop with a PRESS. Dont try putting them on yourself, you will learn new cuss words. Also Gently place the inner seal in, so not to damage it or its seal.

Rich
76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:11 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JeepinJon, you're thinking of the newer model D44 axles ('74 and up), they use the diff oil as a lubricant instead of grease. The older D44's also used grease. All AMC 20's, to my knowledge, use greased rear bearings.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:15 PM
Sully

Guys,
Thanks so much... and while I'm considering doing this myself, I'm thinking that it might be one of those jobs worth taking to a mechanic because of the wheel bearing press, puller, etc... any ideas on what it might cost me either way?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 06:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no sully.. you can do this yourself.. all that outer seal is there for is to keep dust and crap out of your bearings.. i wouldnt worry about it.. you pull the axle shaft out.. and put a new inner seal in.. and when you put that backing plate and outer seal back on.. silcone everything..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepgod is right, if your bearings are ok, the seal replacement is easy. The only reason you would need a press is to replace the bearings. The bearings are placed on the shaft with an interference fit. When I did my one piece axles, it cost me $12 to press on two bearings and took all of 5 minutes.

The worst part of the job is bleeding your brakes after disconnecting your brake lines to slide out the axles. I use a $20 vacuum pump and do that in about 5 minutes too.

Do it yourself, it's the best way to learn things and gain confidence in reparing your Jeep! Good Luck!

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode