Removing Stains from Concrete. On the Cheap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Removing Stains from Concrete. On the Cheap

With all the garage talk I thought you guy's would like to know how to remove the stains you're Jeeps leave behind... it's so darned easy it's laughable:

1. Get some wood ash... any wood ash...
2. Get a bucket.
3. Put the ash in the bucket.
4. Add water to make an ash slurry. You're making ash paste!
5. Pour the slurry on the floor over the stain.
6. Wait for it to dry.
7. Sweep it up.
8. Be dissapointed because the spot is brighter than the rest of the flooring.
9. Now do the rest of the floor.

Nice, fast, and above all... Cheap!

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Removing Stains from Concrete. On the Cheap

Is this after the stain has sunk in? Will this work on older stains too? Thanks.

Bird

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Yep, that's why you make the slurry, so the moisture will take it down into the pours of the concrete. Give it a try. I promise you, ya won't make an ash of yourself trying it out.

You could also squash fruit onto the stain, spread it over and let it dry, frement and harden.. but that will eat away the concrete and draws flies. Though it works I don't recommend it. If you want to try this method, any fruit with a high acid content works... tomato, peach, orange, grapefruit, appricot, ect. It's also not a cheap fix.

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i'll have to try that one.. thanks..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] i allways used muratic acid, but thats not real good for concrete.. i usually sweep up some sand afterwards...not that i care in base housing, but i'd dilute it qa bit if it were my stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not to sound ignorant (okay, this sounds ignorant) but you do mean just burnt wood, right? And how thick do you mix it - to a paste, or more thin?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:09 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The fruit uses it's acid to clean the concrete by eating into the top layer, thus removing the stain. Being fruit, it's acids are not as "harsh" as the muriatic (or sulfuric, hydrochloric, hydrofluoric), which works wonders, but does strip off the top layer of concrete. Concrete is made partially from lime, which reacts with the acid. Muriatic also has a certain percentage of hydrochloric acid in it, which tends to off-gas rapidly, so make sure you use plenty of ventilation or you won't be breathing well for a few days. Also, the muriatic will oxidize stainless and just about any other metal very quickly, so cover it up so the fumes won't hurt it. It does work wonders though.

The ash is mainly a concentrated base, which is just the opposite of the acid. It is closer in relationship (the pH spread is smaller) than the acid and therefore doesn't "eat" into the floor as badly. It needs time to do it's job, it's not as fast acting as the acids, but it does work well. Soda ash and potash will work as well, if not better, but they're harder to find and usually regulated.

Another tip, but for decks, is to use chlorine. Straight chlorine will strip the old crap off a deck in about 5 minutes, just hose it on and wash it off with a hose, your deck will look like new in no time. This works with a bare-wood deck maninly, never used it on a painted one. The concentrated stuff can be found in most pool stores.

Look at the ingredients for most industrial cleaners and you'll find a few common chemicals, usually a lot cheaper than the tiny amount in the can or bottle. Oven cleaner is mainly NaOH, or Sodium Hydroxide, which is a severe base.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode