Macco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Macco

Anyone here have a macco paint job, i am just wondering, i would do all the prep work myself, but do these paint jobs last? do they look good? would you say it is worth the price?

'85 Scrambler
Shell Valley Fiberglass tub
4" Superlift, 2 inch homemade body
33 x 12.5
stock 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Macco

I've had my car painted twice in the past by Macco. I would recommend them if you just want a basic, economy paint job. They do just about no prep work (I think they wash the car), and they will spray over anything but the windows. But as far as the paint quality, I thought is was quite good for a $400 job- no major orange peal etc. It lasted a few years except for the places they bondo'd which lasted 3 months before bubbling. If you you're own prep, you should be fine. Go with their delux clearcoat- they usually have a sale going on too.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

before you do the prep work, give them a call to find out what primer to use. I did the prep work on my old truck, but when I got it back from them the paint started to bubble. They said it was because of the primer I used. Of course they fixed it for free, but why go through the hassel. Just give them a call and ask them what to use.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldnt advise it.. I was hassled whenever I got my CJ painted... also they told me the Urathane with a Four year warrentee would hold up better.. it sucked ass and it cost an arm and a leg.

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

You get what you pay for, so it depends on what you're looking for. Don't go to them if you want a show quality paint job, but if you're looking for a pretty good quality (no orange peel or a lot of runs) that you are expecting to scratch up while off road, then I'd say go ahead. They painted a car for me years ago and it held up like I'd expect a $300 paint job to.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:14 AM
Way Outta Control

I had the Bronco II painted with urathane back in '92, and it's just now starting to show wear. I took the BII to several of the shops that had given me larger quotes and asked them for a critique of the Macco job. To a shop every one complimeted the job and could not understand how they could do it so inexpensivly. I was very, very pleased, and still am.

In '98 I had the Dodge Caravan painted by Macco and it also came out well. It's holding up better than the OEM paint that was on the Caravan.

Macco uses Sherwin-Williams paint and that's high quality. I asked about the prepration that they do and they told me that they'll remove all badging, chrome, etc. that will come off, mask the glass, quickly rough up the surface and wash everhthing else down with a solvent. The solvent is about one step up from turpentine.

As for overspray in places where it should not be? There was none... they did an excellent job for the money I paid. I could not have been happeir with either vehicle.

So that took me to my next comment. Why not paint 'er yourself. From what I learned at Macco I figured I could do most of the work myself. In '98 I bought a 26 gal compressor and lots of air tools. Bingo... that's all I needed. I rebuilt the CJ's tub and went mentally ticked off all the steps Macco did. The paint cost me $60, and the reducer was $19. After finishing the tub repairs I roughed up the surface, washed it with acetone and started spraying. Two hours and 5 coats later... it was finished.

I'd made one mistake...I didn't know about paint hardeners. The paint would have cured lots quicker had I put some in the paint. I learned a lot about Technical Service help lines that week end, like I should have called FIRST. It was an enjoyable experience.

Now, with the metal tub replaced with fiberglass I'm just waiting now for a nice warm humid free day and I'll be painting again... Only this time I'm using Safety Yellow Hammerite paint. It should be one bright CJ when I'm done.

So, in conclusion:

1. I don't think you can go wrong with Macco, it's a Jeep for goodnes sake!
2. Do a little more research, buy the tools and paint and do it yourself.
3. Then you've truly got the bragging rights.
4. You're freeded from Macco forever!

LEVE
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

K leve thanks for the help, will i be able to afford a new compress and spray gun for the price i would be spending to get a macco paint job - i would prolly be getting one of the best jobs they do

'85 Scrambler
Shell Valley Fiberglass tub
4" Superlift, 2 inch homemade body
33 x 12.5
stock 258
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Old Hand

My personal experience with MACCO is bad. I took a probe in there for a cheap job ($350) and they painted the muffler, overspray on the windows and mirror, broke one mirror off and I think they had been driving the car because when it started up black smoke came rolling out. I checked the oil and it was completely empty! MACCO BAAAAAAD!

'00 TJ,2" susp.,2" body, K&N performance inject, Gibson Cat Back, D30, D35 w/Super 35 30 spline axle kit w/detroit locker,Jet chip, 35" Super Swampers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:33 PM

my Maaco story: had an 85 cherokee, DARK BLUE, that needed painted. i told them i wanted it the sameoriginal, factory color as the insides of the door jams. Maaco said $400. i took it in, went back a week later and it was GRAPE PURPLE. said thats what color it was from the factory. i said "how come the door jams are DARK BLUE?" so, they repainted it a closer color of dark blue and it looked OK. took it home, looked out the window of the house at the top and they FORGOT to paint it! took it back. said they would have to strip it since it now had 3 coats of paint and charged me another $100 since i didn't accept the original "factory" color. after 3 weeks and $500, it came out OK. i paint my own cars now. for $500, i could have bought a nice paint gun and the paint, learned something, and probably come out with the same quality paint job.
matt

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a 26 gal compressor that came with extras (impact wrench, air hose, couplers, and a cheap sprayer). I paid under $300 at Wal-mart. I'm thinking of painting my Jeep sometime in the future and will just get a better spray gun ($50-75) plus the painting supplies (paint, hardener, etc.) You can’t go wrong by buying the compressor; you’ll get your money’s worth.

Does anyone know of any good websites that give the ABCs of painting????? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

1978 CJ-5 '<font color=red>Cherry Bomb</font color=red>', AMC 360, SOA, 33x12.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode