Tranny & Xcase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny & Xcase

I'm stewing here over dropping in an AMC 360 that I can get for cheap and have a couple questions. I was pretty bummed out to find that I have an SR4 tranny with my Dana300 on an 83 CJ7. Thank you Ozark for providing me the information to find out. You were on the money.

Anyhow, the tranny can't hold back the 360 from all accounts and this is bad because I would really like to dump in this 360. So, the question is, if I get another tranny like a T18 or T176, will it bolt right up to the Dana300? If not, what would I have to do to make it happen and aside from bone yards, is there a place online or otherwise that would be a good place to start looking? Last new guy question, what kind of prices will I be looking at for a T18 or T176 and what kind of stuff should I look out for?

Thanks all,

BentMetal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:36 PM
cjmorgan

Re: Tranny & Xcase

BentMetal,
The T-176 came stock in CJs with the Dana 300 (it's the combo I have). It is a good transmission and was even used in some J trucks behind the 360. The bellhousing for the T-176 should bolt right up to the 360. If you are talking about the Ford 2wd T-18, you would have to get the conversion kit to match it up with the Dana 300. Advance Adapters & Novak offer these kits. This setup uses the T-176 bellhousing without modifications - you may be able to use the SR4 bellhousing with some slight mods. Keep us posted.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Are you sure you have the SR-4? It should have only come with the 1981 and 1982 years, and then only 1/2 way through the '82 year. It was replaced by the T-4, which is similar and a little stronger.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

According to the case markings it's an SR4 due to the 13-32 stamp. Wish it wasn't but according to the lit that's what I got.

So, need to ditch it for a T176 or T18 or at least that's the impression that I have. So if I manage to find either of those, do they bolt right up to the Dana 300 and will the splines match? Like my original post, where are good places aside from the bone yards that I can start looking for one at a reasonable price?

Thanks

BentMetal

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw one on ebay rebuilt starting at $500. A T-18a. No one had bid on it yet. That was a couple days ago. It was being sold by a 4 wheel drive shop in Colorado. They sell them regularly for $700. It should still be on ebay I think the place was called RMH enterprises. Put a post on the for sale and wanted board. FSJeeper had a T-18a with a dana 300 adapter for $500 on the for sale board.

K-16
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:30 AM

The T-176 bolts up to the D-300, spline counts and all. That will be your easiest swap. Look in '80s CJs and J-trucks. The T-18 bolts up to a D-20. If you can find a 1980 Scout D300, it will bolt up anywhere a Jeep D-20 will. They are rare, but I know of one in town here.... If you wanted to go with an automatic, a TF-727 would be your best bet. They came in some CJs, J-Trucks, and Grand Wagoneers.

'Gator Chaser
Misfit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode