Most bang for the buck - engine wise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:16 PM
cjmorgan

Most bang for the buck - engine wise

Need some opinions - I need to rebuild my 258 OR swap in a 304 or 360. I would like to have decent hp & torque, but I also just enjoy driving my CJ on-road, so I need to get decent gas mileage. I don't want to throw a bunch of money into the 258 to get V-8 production (i.e. broke). But if it can be done without a lot of dough, I would be glad to keep the 258. Or would a mildly built 304 have good output without breaking the wallet? I've had a 360 w/ an auto before and I drove from gas pump to gas pump. BTW - 81 CJ w/ 258 & T-176. What do you guys advise me to do?
Thanks and sorry so long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Most bang for the buck - engine wise

Get a mid mileage 5.7L throttle body GM and whatever adapter you need...20 mpg 250 hp

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The extra money it will cost to swap in the TBI 5.7, will buy a lot of fuel. I feel a 360 would be a good swap, and bolt in, If you feel you really need FI, you can get an aftermarket kit for around $1000. My 401 gets 10 MPG on the highway, turning 35 inch tires, and with 4.89 gears, close to 3500 RPM. Gas milage on the trail has turned out to be a problem. I will use 20 gallons for a full day of wheeling, and I only have a 15 gallon tank, so I carry a 5 gallon gas can with me. I have cut it close a few times. IMHO, you can't go wrong with AMC V8 power, a stock 360 will put out more low RPM torque than a stock TBI 5.7, and a 304 really won't be that far off either, and you won't own a SHEEP, Chevy + Jeep = SHEEP, because it sure won't be CHEAP.

Ray

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:10 AM
Old Hand

When my YJ's 2.5L dies[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm considering Diesel power, the 3.0L turbo diesel out of a Mercedes sounds about what I want, good fuel economy and lots of low end torque.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:23 AM
Way Outta Control

If you want decent milage you're not going to like the 360. I rebuilt the 258 and threw on EFI. My MPG went from 13 to 19.5 and has stayed there for 5 years. It paid for itself in the first year's gas usage. The engine purrs down the freeway at 65mph @ 2000rpm. With an automatic transmission that's not too bad. IMHO, I've got the best of both worlds.

When I did all the work, the 4.0L SMPI swaps were too expensive. Now you can get them from a wrecking yard for what it cost me to do the EFI.... were it I, that's what I'd do... All Mopar Factory parts, you can't beat stock when you're far away from home and something breaks. Try 'xplinin' a GM TBI on an AMC 258 to a Ford Mechanic in a a Tractor shop someday... now that's my nightmare... so I carry tools!

LEVE
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If AMC engines are so good, How come I never saw (or heard of) anyone putting one in anything other a AMC vehicle ?
I have 170,000 on my tbi 5.7 without any problems at all. Aftermarket fuel injection ? Howell uses GM stuff, and cost as much as a used engine and the control sys. Holley parts ? , can anyone buy a holley fuel pump anywhere ? , you will need one, thats for sure.
The GM system is as dependable as it gets, and junk yards are full of spare parts, If you're in love with AMC engines, that's thats you're preference, but mechanically there is no comparison between GM engineering and AMC. I rebuilt a 258 once, it cost as much to build as a BBC and the upgrades were way more.

jmho

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chrysler kept them in their products after they bought AMC didn't they?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figured out along time ago after being left on the side of the road many times that I wasn't going to waste my money on GM powerplants. Every GM car/truck I've had has been no good (crap) and I take care of my stuff. Later.

Bird

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:24 AM

Its all about bellhousing bolt patterns. There are simply a lot more, usually better geared, transmissions that have already got the Chevy SB pattern on them. Why do Jeep people usually swap to a Chevy engine? To go with that Chevy transmission they've got!

'Gator Chaser
Misfit
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:07 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Dirtrod, no flies on the 350 & yeah by itself it's "the most bang for the buck". But, swapping one into a Jeep is much more expensive than bolting in a 360 (which can be done with all factory components).</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode