Any alternative brake m-cylinder to replace stock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 07:36 PM
chasejeep7

Any alternative brake m-cylinder to replace stock

I am in need of a new master brake cylinder. My current one is very rusty and is leaking brake fluid down the firewall from the rear reservoir.

I was just curious if there was either an alternative, a cheaper, or more effective master cylinder from a different vehicle that will bolt onto a ’82 CJ-7 w/o power brakes? Just wondering what options are out there before I replace.

Thanks,
Chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:28 AM
chasejeep7

Re: Any alternative brake m-cylinder to replace stock

sombody posted this on another site and wonder if this is an upgrade?

"Use a 1979 Pontiac Firebird 4 wheel disc brake master cylinder it has the same depth and bolt pattern as the Jeep CJ"

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:00 AM
Robert87yj

I believe that most GM brake systems will have the same bolt pattern as a CJ. I read somewhere about a caddie swap into a CJ. I'll see if I can find it. Do a search on yahoo and see what you come up with.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue> (jeep is down need a new head)
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:04 AM
Way Outta Control

Robert, that was from a JP article on improving CJ brakes in an issue about 2 years ago. I think the model year was about a '79 and all you had to do was add 1/4" throw to the actutation shaft.

LEVE
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is very little difference between any of them, I have tried several with all finds of different piston bores, the last was a GM 1 ton 1 1/4" (I think)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:23 AM

The manual master from a pre 78 CJ that had the larger discs and 11" drums has a larger bore and should bolt right on.
The firebird MC is for discs all around and may not work properly if you have rear drums.

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 09:45 AM

That wise old bird, Parts Mike Monahan had this to say on the subject.
I think it was one of his most informative posts .....
----------- cut
To start with Jeep CJ's used a lot of 1" master cylinders, the exception being the 1977-78 CJ which used a 1 1/16" cylinder, this is the best of the units that Jeep offered. When you increase the amount of pressure needed there are a couple of ways to do it. Decrease the size of the master cylinder, this gives you more leverage, but you lose pedal height, lengthen the pedal to get more leverage or use a larger bore master cylinder with a booster that gives more "boost". This is where the Hydraboost has come in to play and I recommend it for the 4 wheel disc brake vehicles that have large tires and use the large GM single piston calipers as this allows yoiu to use the GM 1 1/4" master cylinder. Back to you, with what you have for brakes the stock power unit is fine, I would use the 1 1/16" Jeep master cylinder Bendix P/N11678. If you want a larger bore cylinder and you have disc front drum rear the GM pickup cylinder(1 1/8") for disc brake (front only) Bendix P/N11944 works well. For 4 wheel disc the Firebird master cylinder (1 1/8") Bendix P/N11745, is a good choice, the Corvette cyl P/N11749 is a smaller outside size and works well also. Mike

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:18 AM
chasejeep7

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just have to go shopping to find the cheapest store so I can drop it in over the weekend.
Thanks everybody.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jaffer,

Would you happen to know what part number is used for the GM 1 1/4" master Cyl???? Or what year that particular master cyl could have been on???
I am building a CJ-7 with 1 ton running gear with disc front and drum rear, I do have the CJ power brake booster but was needing to know if there is a really big master cyl that I could bolt on and help with the braking.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode