How do I sand my Frame??? HELP!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do I sand my Frame??? HELP!!!!

OK, I got my new frame and I've been sanding the hell out of it...but I'm not going anywhere fast...it's taking a long time...I'm useing a 5in orbital sander with 50 and 80 grit...(ran out of 50) It's taken me a long time to sand down a 3 or 4 foot patch...is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Help me please...My plan is to paint it with Hammerite once I'm done...Is there any short cuts? I really wanted to get this done before the end of the month so i could start the rebuild...I've already taken the last week of the month off to kick butt and take names on the rebuild.....HELP!!!!!!

Tucker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do I sand my Frame??? HELP!!!!

Sandblaster. You can get one from harbor freight or anywhere else for that matter. Just hook up to your air tank and look out.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah...i thought about that, but I don't have a tank and I don't have the money right now to buy one...I was thinking of a 5in grinder or something...I may have the money to swing the grinder...

Tucker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What about a rental place. Call them up; do'nt cost nuttin.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:40 PM
jeepfiend

The grinder is too aggressive. You may end up removing more material than you should, weakening the frame. If you do use the grinder, use a soft wheel, and don't use too aggressive of a grit. A hard wheel can destroy your frame faster then you can imagine. You might consider checking into prices on compressor rental for a sandblaster, or just taking the frame to a place that does sandblasting. I usually only use the old angle grinder for weld cleanup and that type of thing. I got my sandblaster at harbor freight for $30. If you know someone who has a compressor you can use, this is the best route. Sand is usually around $5 a bag at your local building supply. I have even seen cheaper sandblasters that aren't much more than a gun and a hose you put into a bucket of sand. I have cleaned quite a bit of structural steel and frames, and the sand blaster is the way to go. Let me know how the hammerite works, I am planning on using it on my own frame.
Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you go the grinder route, you could use a knotty-wire cupped brush wheel instead of a grinding disc. I used a wire brush when I prepped my CJ for Herculiner and it worked excellent. Went really quick down to the bare metal, and the brush seems to last forever. Just another option for you to think about.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 04:13 PM
Addict

I went the same route as Digger and it worked great. I used a 4" angle grinder and a knotted wire wheel. Took it down to bare metal on most of it. Then used POR15 on the whole thing. Should have topcoated it but didn't see the need since it won't be in direct sunlight, I hope. The angle grinder cost around $50 and those wire wheels about $12-$16. They last a long time but do eventually wear out and when they do, look out! Wire shards in the eye are no fun. Wear eye protection! Good luck.

rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31" BFG AT's, TFI upgrade
79cj7frame,ready to be built
83cj7inpieces, parts Jeep
"They can take my guns, but they'll have to take them bullets first."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 05:54 PM

I rented a sandblaster and a compressor from the local rental place. They also sell sand pretty cheap. It was less than $100 for a 24 hr period. A half day for just the frame would be sufficient for $50, I guess.
I did my CJ-7 about 4 years ago with POR-15, it still looks great!
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode