Sorry to beat it to death - D44 Waggie - Currie ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry to beat it to death - D44 Waggie - Currie ??

Sorry to keep bugging you guys on this, but trying to learn here. We want to do the front D44 swap - with the width matching my wide-track '86 CJ7 D44. There seems to be two ways to go - buy a currie axle from wherever (4wd hardware sells them for $1089 & it includes R&P & install kit) - or cut down a waggie D44.

Now from what several people (elusive was especially helpful) have said cutting down the D44 isn't that complicated, remove the axles, cut down the housing - send the axle to moser to get resplined for about $60. I am still a little unclear as to what to do with the knuckles - the off-road.com tech page upgrade article uses the D30 "outers" - knuckles, steering, brakes & hubs - elusive had mentioned using GM - which I am unclear on what that involves & what the advantage is.

On the currie, you have to use the D30 "outers" also. Now, the currie specs are that is "comes with 30 spline inner axle shafts & a 27 spline outer axle shaft using a Spicer 297X u-joint"

Several people told me that the waggie D44 would be stronger than a currie new out of the box & I was wondering why this is so - is the currie really just a D30 in different clothing with the warn axle upgrade kit? What makes the waggie axle stronger.

If I use the D30 "outers" is that going to make the waggie axle weak - I would prefer to stick to this route, as I already have the parts, but I am unclear on the GM knuckle setup. It seems really adventageous to go the waggie route - even though I figure I'll probably still have $450-$500 in it when I buy R&P's. I am still just a slightly leary of the waggie axle because it woud be going with parts that are XX years old & everything up this way is much rustier than those parts you can get in the south & west. The big advantage seems to be that I could get another waggie setup & remove the axle & have spares for cheap compare to the currie.

Anyway - I guess my big questions are about the strenght - currie vs. waggie D44 & about the "outers"
Again, sorry to beat this to death.

-Mel-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 09:49 AM

Re: Sorry to beat it to death - D44 Waggie - Currie ??

the reason your d30 is weaker than a 44 is the axle size and the r&p size but unless you plan on running super low gears or tires bigger than 35's your d30 should hold up fine as for the differences between currie or waggies no difference except price and age if you buy waggie axles check and make sure the tubes are straight really hard landings tend to bend them the dana 30 knuckles will accept the bigger 44 axles no prob and the strength is not really an issue they just make the whole conversion a lot easier

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:51 AM

Mel-
Take another look and notice the Currie unit has a beefy reinforcement plate between tubes and knuckle arms, built-in shock mounts, a full set of new shafts, a new cover, a new yoke, and FWDHardware is throwing in a ring and pinion and install kit as a special.
Plus, no rummaging around junk yards, worrying about bent tubes, years of rust and corrosion, finding a shop that will do a good job with tricky cast iron to steel welds, and getting the cut arm back on at the proper matching castor, etc ....
Then there is time vs. money.
Just thought I'd just mention these things to give you a better prospective.

I don't know what type of knuckles Currie puts on their ready-to-go front 44's but when Dan Brown broke one at an ARCA meet when they put a chain on it to haul him out of a crack, he got an OEM Jeep replacement and discovered it was quite a bit beefier than the Currie knuckle. I bought this axel from him when his new rig was under construction here and there was such a large difference in the size of these knuckles that he'd ordered another one for the opposite side which has yet to be installed. I'll try to find out from Dan exactly which Jeep knuckle it is.

Believe you me, you need every piece of heavy duty metal on your front end you can get to survive the local sandstone. Like Brad said, around here you can bust an axel buy just backing up at the wrong angle ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mel, talk with Sam's they have a pretty good price on a built to order 44.

DANA 44 front axle housing, Detroit locker, precision gear,
bearings, Moser inner axles, spicer u joints and stubs, ring gear set up,
with a one year warranty, cost $1495.00

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ok mel.. its time to save money.. and get dirty..
get yourself a wagoneer front d44 from a 75-79.. open knuckles 6 lug.. has thicker axle shafts vs the scout front d44.. a scout is basically a d30 with larger r&p...
you grind off the knuckle.. cut the tube down whatever lenght that you want.. put knuckle back on.. may have to use a BFH.. weld it..
to convert to 5 lug.. 2 pre 76 GM spindles off of a D44 (not a 10 bolt).. (hardest part to find) being from PA.. you should be able to find them.. then get the rotor/bearing hub/lockout hubs from any D44 ford.. i did my swap for just over 200 bucks.. you can use the stock waggy calipers (11 bucks).. ford rotors are like 17 bucks..
then put whatever gears and locker in.. you will be able to use the stock shock mounts.. (if you cut it down.. just grind it off.. and reweld back on)..
you can set the caster yourself with a 9 dollar angle finder.. someone just needs to stick weld it.. you can reuse the spring perches..
Moser Eng. will cut and respline the axle shaft for 50 bucks plus shipping...
they will also do the whole axle.. if you want to spend the money..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:38 AM
I Do This For The Glory

What is it with the Scout axle bashing?

<font color=blue>a scout is basically a d30 with larger r&p</font color=blue>

That's funny, because every book I have lists the both D44 specs as the same.

Here is the difference between the D30 and Scout D44, so you can update your files.

The D30 is 1.13" dia with 27 splines, and the ring gear is 7.125" in diameter.
The D44 is 1.31" dia with 30 splines, the the ring gear is 8.50" in diamater.

Not much similar there.

Now, what specs do you have on the Waggie D44? Yes, I know the hubs are internal, but please list the specs so I can look for a "better" D44.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 11:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is snorting something.. he's been away from my expretise too long...
the scout 44 has the same 30 spline axleshafts as any other d-44...it also has the same x297 u-joint. the outer axleshafts MAY be a bit thicker, but they have fewer splines. tyhe only thing weaker about the scout d-44 front axle is that they have thinner axle tubes...though they are still pretty thick and have never heard of any problems with them.. including the one i built and thrashed last year.

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes the scouts have the 297 u-joint.. but.. those shafts are thinner compared to a normal d44.. the outer shaft is a d30 shaft with a larger u-joint.. vise the thicker shaft in my axle.. the part that is the same.. is just where the splines are.. after that they get thinner.. granted this maybe just the outter shaft.. im not sure on inner.. and that may not be a big deal to some..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you considered using BOTH axles out of the Waggie? I swapped them into my YJ, it wasn't that difficult, and for the same money you'll pay for 1 custom axle you should be able to get BOTH in there with lockers and gears.

Waggy axles would be wider than your current axles, though.

Depending on the year they might be either passenger or driver drop. In your case you'd want one of the older passenger drop ones, I guess.

Personally, I would think narrowing this yourself might be biting off a little much as a do it yourself for the first time project with a deadline looming over your head.

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:06 PM

Here's the scoop on a waggie d44...
get a 77 or earlier waggie d44...this will come with the correct spindles to change to ford rotors...
cut 3.25" off of the drivers side
have the tie rod shortened the same...as well as the axle shaft
take the waggie pitman arm with you OR buy skyjackers dropped arm...skyjacker's arm can be re-drilled to accept
the larger waggie tierod end...
if you get a 77 or earlier waggie it'll come with flat top knuckles for high steering (we can cover that later)
you can use the stock waggie (GM) calipers and pads

here's where you may get lost...
get 1980 ford hub/rotor assembly and wheel bearings and seals
also get the warn premium locking hubs for the same axle

the ford hub has the correct 5 lug pattern that you'll need...

any questions? let me know...

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20...dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights...
'glass body w/ tied in full cage...warn x8000i

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode