CJ-7 or Cherokee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-7 or Cherokee

I was wondering if I should keep my 82' CJ-7 with rust, a minor power steering leak, and no fuel injection or sell it and get a XJ Cherokee?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: CJ-7 or Cherokee

Can't take the doors and top off the XJ. Spring is almost here.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:28 PM

xj's are for moms to drive to the grocery store the cj 7 is the best bet and cj jeeps age like men they get better lookin as they get older lol

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are some incredible built XJs, they are VERY capable wheelers. BUT, unibody has its distinct disadvantages. I drive one for work (lucky, Jeep for work and Jeep for home), and I love the vehicle. It is very sturdy (remember the wreck I got in a couple months ago, pics of Cherokee on its side), and very comfortable. Depending on your needs, either is a good choice.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:04 AM

to build an xj requires much mor money than a cj but you are right they are tough just expensive to build hardcore

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got both. A '91 XJ Limited, which is a very nice daily driver and goes through the snow like you wouldn't believe! And my CJ-7 project that will be my toy when it's done. All depends on what you want to do with it.
I agree with 3jeepguy in that an XJ is more expensive to build to the same capabilities as a CJ, but the amount of stuff that you usually have to FIX on an old CJ before it is up to the reliability standards of the injected XJ is much higher!
If you want to drop the top and go wheelin', keep your CJ, if you want something that will sit in a parking lot all winter and start all the time, and actually produce heat, then XJ!
Good luck in your decision.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's a roller with drivetrain now!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 04:12 AM
scram

Well i have owned both and i will be honest i own an xj now and can build it to beet my old cj but it will cost me twice as much. If i were to build a 4x4 for the first time i would build a cj because you will get more bang for your buck. I love my xj but it just cost more to build in my mind. I have spent close to $2000 in lift alone on my xj And will be spending much more and i know for $2000 dollars you can do a lot more with a cj. But they are both jeeps and most of ya laugh at us Xj's but hey we are jeeps to lol. Cya all and please dont down my xj to much today i am very fragile lol. Scram

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Of coarse all the guys here on this board are going to be very pro CJ, but if you are having trouble deciding which to do sit down with some paper and a pen and wrote a pro verses con list on each vehicle and you'll come to an answer in black and white that is best for you.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:47 PM
Way Outta Control

Your answer depends on why you buy a Jeep. I still cringe when I see a FSJ Wagoneer go by... I really loved my old '85... it took many years get over trading it in for a Caravan. Oh well, too soon old, too late smart... however now I've had an 83 CJ for 6 years.... it's a real love hate relationship.

In the six years I've owned it it's got fuel injection and a fiberglass tub and front clip, fairly new engine, new rebuilld on the transmission and in a few weeks as soon as it warms up it'll get a new coat of paint. I know the vehicle inside and out, it's flaws and strong points. I know I can fix ANY part of it without a manual... I can get'er home if it breaks.

It's kind of like a puppy. Darn their cute, and cuddly, but then I remember having to train them, house break them. That pup can't compete to the dog that spent 16 years with me. Only when the 16 year old dies would I ever think of getting a "new" improved dog.

Yep, as much as I miss the ole WJ, I really like this CJ even more. It's a lot like me, just gets better with age. It limps a little as it get's older and so do I.

But when it spring, summer and fall, you can't beat a nice slow, top off, doors off drive through the country.

You'll miss many things in the XJ... but if you want to go and get citified and yuppified.. well, I guess so... it's a still a Jeep and I love looking at a well built XJ. Like all Jeeps thier still like that puppy, cute, fun to play with and will at some time become your friend.

LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode