Did I ruin my axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Did I ruin my axle?

My dad and I were trying to replace a bearing today in the back axle cause it was kinda making a small grinding type noise..not bad..and when I hit the brakes and sometimes when I accelerated it sounded like a bearing.Well my dad pulled out one that we replaced a few months ago and it was fine.The other he didn't pull out cause he said it was in their pretty good and felt fine.However after we put everything together I got to driving off..and it the back axle started growling real bad..then it started "slipping" (it seemed like it would go an extra revolution without moving) then I was going up a hill(pavement [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) and I quit moving.I had the tranny in gear and I started to roll back down.I got to the bottom and was wondering what had happened..well I waited for a sec and she started back up again and I drove back to my dads house.Well he sprayed paint on some bolt and the axle..and had me drive it.The paint/parts moved.He said it was my axle then..So he tried to tighten it up again..which he said he did get it a little tighter.I took it for a "test drive" and it seemed to be ok.Well I left to go back to my moms house and it started slipping again.It was only really doing it now when I started from a stop.
What could this be?Any ideas?I'm hoping its not my carrier or whatever cause I have put changed the axle fluid twice in the past two months..and It keeps on getting water in it.ARGGH!I am getting ready to go change it again.
Thanks
Joey

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:40 PM

Re: Did I ruin my axle?

sounds like you've "spun the axle"...did you remove that large nut on the end of the axle and then pull the hub off?
if you did, you didn't tighten it up enough. put all the force you have to tighten it back up...that'll buy you some time
now, order some one piece axles!!

what has happened is the axle shaft is spinning inside the hub that holds the tire. it has happened to a lot of people, you're
not the first!!

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20...dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights...
'glass body w/ tied in full cage...warn x8000i

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You probably have the 2 piece axle in the rear? If so, it's the keyway stripping out. You need to get another, that one is toast and cannot be saved, now is a good time to upgrade to the 1 piece axles. You could also get another 2-piece one, but there is no guarantee it won't happen again. If you do go with a 2-piece, use some green Loctite called "Sleeve and Bearing Retiner" and torque the big end nut to 350 Ft-Lbs. That'll hold for awhile, maybe.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:17 PM

take it to the friendliest shop in town and pay a machinic $5 to tighten down as far as it will go with a BIG OL GUN. It should hold for a while. good luck

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Good that it isn't the diff.Man I opened it up and its like gray sludge..Like really thick pudding.
I plan on selling my jeep and don't want to buy new axles.But I am gonna have to drive her for a little while longer though.
Can I just buy another key or do I have to buy another axle?My dad said the key was sheared or something..If I need another axle anyone got one for cheap [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]?
Can I drive it around?Its my only transportation .

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:23 PM

you could try all those suggestions and if they dont work a quick fix is to weld the axle to the hub but you cant beat it too hard but it might last long enuff to save the scooties to buy a good one piece axle set for your model 20 rear end

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Here's the problem with welding the axle. When you weld it, the place you welded becomes weaker, and I have heard of axles that have snapped off at the weld, causing the wheel to fall off. The only thing that spinning the key will do is cause the jeep not to move. You can have it hammered (with a gun or a big 'ole breaker bar with a pipe on it) down like was previously mentioned, then throw 2 tack welds on it, but do not weld the whole thing. I'd also be honest and let the seller know it'll need a new axle, but from your posts, I assumed you'd do this already, you seem honest enough. You can try adding a new key, it's possible it'd last a little longer, but if you're taking it apart, throw the Loctite I mentioned on there as well, it's designed for such an application. Good luck, I couldn't get mine off, so I left the nut a little loose, threw it into 2WD Low, and put the bumper against a brick wall. It loosened up after the swampers stopped spinning on the pavement. The gray goo in the diff was probably just water, it's normal, just change it often.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:59 PM

i guess that was bad advice i wasnt trying to kill anyone just give a quick fix to an old problem sorry

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Joey, I should be able to part with the 44 out of my '69 in a couple of weeks. I have a line on a set of Scout 44's, but want to make sure the deal goes through. I am not sure about the bolt up, but maybe someone can help us out. If it will fit, I would probably cut you a deal to help out a fellow Okie. Then you could put it in and sell it. It is a 5.38 is the only problem, probably have to get a new ring and pinion. I think other than that it will work. I will even deliver it, if you will name your first born after me. Somebody help us out.

Swavy00

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
--Ronald Reagan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 01:02 AM
I Do This For The Glory

3jeepguy, no problem, I didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on your post, that wasn't my intention. With the combination of everything we listed, that axle should be stronger than the good one!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode