Stupid CB question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Stupid CB question

ok, so ive got this little handheld CB radio, how do I know it works?

I listened to it for a little while this afternoon, I could hear some guys saying they were from Conneticut, and others from very far away as well.

I keyed the mike a few times and asked for a radio check. but I have no idea what the proper terminology / etiquette is for this kind of thing.

any ideas?

I dont figure Ill be able to get more than a mile or 2 range, its got a mag mount telescoping antenna on top of the car right now, im just sort of experimenting.

any ideas? help?

thanks!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:15 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Stupid CB question

when you key up the mic, say "break on # for a radio check" # is the channel your on. If that doesn't work, they might not have heard you. I would try and get a buddy that lives close by, or if you have another cb in your rig, tell the mrs to drive down the block and check it that way

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:16 PM

Im pretty sure I heard you here in Vegas, while I was perousing the airwaves. Man that thing really gets out there. Hehehehe. Hey the best thing you can do if you dont have a freind with a CB to test it with, is either go to a local CB shop and talk back and forth with their shop unit. Or go set up next to an interstate and hail the truckers as they go by. And yes, a simple request for a radio check, is adequate to get the conversation going. Just explain to them you are testing a unit. they will either be helpfull or tell you to go piss up a tree, beu either way you know your signal is getting out.
Good luck

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:20 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Head to a major highway and ask a trucker for a radio check. You should be on channel 19, and just say "Break 1-9 for a radio check". If you do it a few times, you'll get a response. Some truckers don't respond unless they know it's another trucker. You could also find a neighbor with a CB and check it. I doubt you'll be talking to CT on it, sometimes skip is just right so you can pick up far away stations. I have talked from Maine to Australia, and routinely get FL and the midwest, but it's on a rare occasion, and very often I can hear them but don't have the power to talk back.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

well, I sure didnt think I was talking to connecticut, but I did one guy repeatedly giving road coniditons on I95 south out of Conn.

I gotta few folks to reply to my radio check with a cech check.

BUT none would answer to where they were , I said "whats your 20, Im in Fayetteville, how far am I getting out"

no replies that I could make out over the noise.

over all though its alot more entertainig than most FM radio stations, I cant wait to trafel the Interstate next time, Ill be giving them hell.

I assume there is no liscence call letters, laws governing, regulatory confines?

its a wide open free/public thing now right?

thanks for the advice guys!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:32 PM

Ozark

We are in the middle of a Solar Cycle[peak] . If you listen close you should be able to hear stations from across the pond(Ocean) , very early in the morning on AM . Anything is possible right now . I talk into Africa , Europe quite often ( on SSB mind you) . Got yur ears on there good Buddy
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=black>When is Summer going to be here? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been able to listen to conversations that are happening quit fir away while parked near a repeater. never had any luck with joining in proble due to power

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 06:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yep out here on the coast.. ive had guys from ny.. tx.. fl.. talked with the guy from florida.. and tx..
mmmm... might have to throw it back in the jeep this weekend.. and see what i can play around with during this solar thinging..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 09:41 AM

Hey Paul

Great to see another BC`er in here .

Jeff (Abbotsford) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>
1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=black>When is Summer going to be here? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That CB is a "line of sight" communicator. Won't leap tall buildings or go around mountains, big trees or big rocks.

The super long distances you are encountering have to do with atmospheric conditions - mostly caused by "sun spots", solar flares. Kinda like a worm hole in a Sci-fi flick that moves around so that each end isn't in the same place all the time. Rather than being a neat thing that happens from time to time, they really are a PITA. It can get bad enough that talking across a 4 lane divided hwy sometimes can't be done. Instead your transmission winds up some where in BF Eygpt.

Ch 19 is the highway channel. Most truckers run that ch and most people traveling run it also. If you want to discuss anything besides road conditions, radar locations, "smokey" reports or notify someone that his trailer fell off, you need to do it on another ch. Ch 9 is restricted to emergency only. Usually no one even monitors it. In the '80s ch 6 or 8, can't remember which, was mostly a black ch., Afro-American or whatever the proper term of the day is. Don't know if that is true today or not. Ch 4 is a widely used off road ch.

None of that is etched in stone. Just some of the ways people gravitated to particular chs over the years. The skip shooters (people trying to taked advantage of the sun spot activity) kind of gravitated toward a particular few chs. Don't remember them either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode