Narrow Track - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:33 PM
Bill4x4

Narrow Track

I'am building this Jeep to run the Rubacon and the Jeep is a 1979 with a narrow track dana 30 with 33 12.50 tires and the turning radias stinks because the tires hit the springs on a locked turn. The rims are 8in with 3.5 back spacing. On this trail or some of the other ones out here would this combo be a problem?
Thanks Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Narrow Track

If you don't want to change anything, You should adjust the stops so the tire doesn't bind-up at a bad time.

If it comes with instructions, then it's not what the pros use.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Food for thought, I have a narrow track CJ and wanted a wide track. Lack of money sent me searching. Well I found that I could order a special offset chrome modular wheel with any backspace I wanted with a max of 2 1/2 backspace. I ordered a set of 15x10 with 2 1/2 backspace. I put these matched to a set of 33x12.5 and find they widened my track and dont rub, as when I have 15x8 on 32x11.5 and they rubbed on the springs..... The cost of the rims where 72 dollars, only 18 dollars more for the special ordered backspace compared to standard 15x10, and they look good. So far I am pleased.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have two sets of wheels I run - one are beadlocks 8.5x15 with 33x12.50 BFG MT's, the other are white spoke steelies 10x15 with 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

I'm sorry, I don't know the backspacing, but the steelies have alot less? - they stick out more and widen the track and don't rub like the others...

Anyway, even though the steelies "work" better, they seem to stick out so far past the ball joints (and I think they are a pretty standard back spacing), that sometimes I get what guys here have referred to as "the death wobble" If it's ever happend to you, you know what I'm talking about - uncontrolled back and forth of the front wheels all of the sudden at about 35 mph...

Everything is tight and I DON'T Have lift shackles and I have NEVER gotten it with the other rims.

Moral - I'd be very careful and wary with going nuts on the backspacing with narrow track axles... - Just my 2 cents and experience. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ORDERED A SET OF STEEL WHEELS FOR MINE WITH 2" BACK SPACING,HAS WORKED GREAT FOR ME. I ONLY PAID $54 A PEICE. BUT THAT COMPANY HAS SINCE WENT OUT OF BUISNESS(WONDER WHY?) JUST ORDERED ANOTHER SET FOR A BUDDY'S JEEP OUT OF COLORADO, $82 + SHIPPING(TRUE DESIGN [email protected]) COST A LITTLE BIT MORE BUT A REAL PLEASURE TO DO BUISNESS WITH. WILL PROBABLY STAY IN BUISNESS ALOT LONGER TOO. HAVE DRIVEN MINE QUITE A FEW MILES AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIANCED THE
"DEATH WOBBLE". BUT THE REST OF THE FRONT END IS IN GOOD SHAPE. GOOD LUCK!

IF I BUY ANYMORE TOYS,I'M A DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode