wahoooo!! pitman arm gives in!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:49 PM
sas87yj

wahoooo!! pitman arm gives in!!!!

yey!!!!
the ol' pitman just popped loose tonite after work. i thought about all that you had advised-can't remember all names but gpn', dirtdog et al. i sandwiched it with 2 BFH's hitting with one 10 lb'er and using the other 10 lb'er to buck it. then i put on the puller and cranked, little shot of juice and then heated with torch and beat up on the puller bolt........pop it came loose. could'nt believe my eyes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

now the next question ......
i have put on the new drop pitman first wire-brushing the splines and applying light coat grease. not beating on the arm, just using the nut to pull it up the splines. after really cranking with large crecent and cheater-pipe i am not getting it on as far as the stock one was. is it mandatory to come flush with splines at the bottom of the arm?
thanks again!steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:52 PM

Re: wahoooo!! pitman arm gives in!!!!

I believe the spec is something like 150 ft-lbs. Just tighten it to specs and don't worry about the position.

'86 CJ-7, 360, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:45 PM

It's alright as long as it's really tight. Don't worry about where it's at compared to the old one.
Glad you got it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would you want it that tight again ? ; )

good work...

The Jeep Gods should be impressed that one !

If it comes with instructions, then it's not what the pros use.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:08 PM
Veteran

You know we really started to worry about you around here. When my friends reading these posts started mumbling stuff like "hacksaw", "cutting torch", "nut splitter" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] or "dynamite" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I said "oh boy!". Good to see men victorious over metal. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just keep to the torque values and retorque it after a few miles on the Hammers. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'd put a gob of anti-seize on the splines too just to be sure.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Right F&R and a light foot
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:45 PM

Did it make that unique "Ping!" sound when it let go?
Some say it's the sweetest note they ever heard ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 06:41 AM
sas87yj

twas music to my ears! i was one happy jeeper![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
thanks again
steve

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ping? Mine sounded like a damn gunshot![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That "ping" is usually followed by "YeeeOOuch" as you cut the heck out of your knuckles. Those mechanix gloves tend to help that a bit though...

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I almost cut my middle finger off when I was removing mine on my '55 Cj5. It came off easy enough with a puller, driven by an impact wrench (air tools are great) but when I was disconnecting the drag link my hand slipped and I whacked it against the gasket edge of my oil pan, slicing down to the bone on my left hand. (The steering box on my jeep is at the base of the column sandwiched between the frame , exhaust manifold, and oil pan of the Buick 225; I still have the good old stock Willys steering with a 17" steering wheel)
Of course, I was all greasy and oily, and the ER nurse hurt me more cleaning it out than the original cut did, even after 4 shots. She did good, though, 'cause 3 months later you can't even tell I did it. Now I always watch out for sharp edges.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode