Found ultimate clamp for tire/bumper combo. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Found ultimate clamp for tire/bumper combo.

I logged on to the web site http://www.carrlane.com and found the clamp I have been looking for. It is the one that Bulletproof uses. All of the dimensions are listed there as well. My design is similar to Bulletproof's but will not look as nice since I don't weld that great and I do not have access to a tubing bender. My only problem is the hinge on the top of the bumper. I do not know how to make a strong one that will not sag and is servicable.

Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Old Hand

Re: Found ultimate clamp for tire/bumper combo.

I found a place that sells a similar one to carr lane, except the handle is red. It is called austin hardware.

Also, if you search you can find some info on using a trailer hub and spindle for the pivot. I have done that on two carriers and can't say enough good things about how well it works. Here are a couple of pics:

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rayno: I like your set up. I have read about the hub as a pivot. How much does it cost to machine it down? Does it sag any? Does it have a grease zerk?

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:39 PM
Bill4x4

Just wondering if those home grown D-rings strong enough for exstacting out of a bad situation?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Which clamp is that and what are you using it for?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Right F&R and a light foot
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The clamp is on the latch clamp page. It is an adjustable U bolt right angle type. I will use it to close the swingout tire carrier to the bumper.

Also, six states sells the "home made" looking D rings. The weld them to trucks. I know quite a few Jeeps with them and they are strong.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:49 AM
Old Hand

...a little info:

I was able to find a machine shop to cut the flange off for $15 (that's really cheap for just one). On the first tire carrier I made, I cut it off myself using a cut-off wheel, sawzall, swearing, sweating and about 2 hours including the grinding it round. It was no fun and is why I searched out a machine shop for the second one.

I haven't put a zerk fitting in. I am going to put a 'bearing buddy' that is commonly used for boat trailers. It would be easy to drill and tap a hole for the zerk, however.

As far as sagging goes, I can stand on the end of the swingout carrier and bounce without it affecting the arm. I welded it at a slight angle (only like 1%) back to compensate for the weight of gas cans, tire, rack.

On the D-rings....these are forged rings commonly used on dump trucks for saftey chains when towing a trailer with a backhoe or bobcat. They can be purchased at heavy truck supply places. I was dragged backwards up a steep rock sliding on my skid plate by one of these D-rings.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.rockstomper.com
These guys sell the spindle you are looking for with all the bearings and zerk fitting ready to go. The whole thing is $42 approximately. I know its $49 shipped to my house. The page with the carriers is down but they work great I've built two carriers with his hinges. Also the guy that sells them is #3 on TTC ballot.

K-16
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:31 AM
joeybcdt

Which latch is the one you are talking about?

ADJUSTABLE:
CL-110-PA 500lb
CL-210-PA 1000lb
CL-310-PA 2000lb
FIXED:
CL-150-PA 375lb
CL-170-PA 1200lb

Thanks,
Joey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The nice thing about Rockstomper's hub other than being cut down already, is that it is steel. Most of the trailer hubs out there are cast and it is hard to weld the steel tubing to the cast hub. It can be done with the right type of rod, but the steel one is available.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode