transfer case lowering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:06 PM
ramekr

transfer case lowering

What is involved with lower the transfer case? Is this a "big deal " project or can someone with moderate abilities do it? Thinking of doing a 2 1/2' lift and want to keep driveshaft angles as normal as possible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: transfer case lowering

It's as simple as placing ta jack under the skid plate,loosening 2 bolts, removing 6 bolts, installing spacers and tightening them.

I doubt you'll need it with a 2.5" lift. I did lower mine about an inch with a 4" Superlift...

Go hard or go home
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:11 PM
sas87yj

ak is right-
no big deal-you can do it!
put jack under trans and i also put one under transcase and apply little pressure to both. take out 2 bolts holding trans to skid-plate as my yj has. then remove the 6 skid plate bolts. actually probably can back out 3 on one side and take out all the way on 3 the other side and insert pucks with longer bolts. then same on other side and you prob don't have to drop the whole skid plate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

A 2.5" lift should not require a transfer case drop and shouldn't adversely affect your angles enough to worry about. Plus if you lower your TC you are kinda defeating the purpose of the lift to begin with which was to gain more ground clearance. I would recommend doing the lift first and seeing if you need to do anything else, I think you will find that its not necessary,

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" SUA, AMC20 w/rear discs and Somers Bros 1 piece axle shafts, D30, 3:73's, and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, you don't need to drop it with a 2.5 lift. Also remember, when you drop the case, the trans shifter will also drop... That is, if you have a manual trans.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a peice of one inch square tubing,cut to the depth of crossmember,use bolt holes as a template,drill holes.Beter than spacers if you play in the rocks.

TOMMY PARKER
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 03:33 AM
ramekr

Thanks to all for the help. I didn't realize it was that simple. In the parts catalogs it looked as if there were metal straps that you had to hang the transfer case from. I couldn't imagine how that would work, but... Thanks for the imput.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode