suspension lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 04:59 PM
ramekr

suspension lifts

I have a 90'wrangler with 6cyl. Right now it is stock except for after market shackles which technically give 1" extra clearence. and 31" tires. I would like to put on a 2 1/2" lift. Is this actually now a 3 1/2" lift? Do I need to lower the transfer case, use a dropped pitman arm ,shorten the output shaft of the transfer case and then use a longer drive shaft just to make it drivable again? I really don't want to spend $500.00 for the lift and then find I need $2000.00 worth of parts to make it all work. Due to my location I have access to very little serious off roading so this would be more for looks. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: suspension lifts

Well.. technically its a 3 1/2 in lift.. You dont need a longer driveshaft.... You can drop the xfer case if you would like... Its advisable... and a drop pitman arm is a plus.. you can get a xfer case drop for like twenty and a pitman arm for about 50? Shouldn't be too much

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:21 PM
ramekr

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems that when you hit the 4" lift area things seem to get very involved. Such as longer brake lines the pitman arm and drive shafts. I realize this equipment is useful but was wondering if it was really needed. I just don't want to turn my nice drivable jeep into a road hazard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of lift did you get?
Don't most lifts come with a droped pitman arm, my brothers came with one.
-Dave

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What size tires do you want? Toss the shackles.. get some heavy duty stock size or lil' larger than stock.. and get a 2.5in suspension and get some 32s.. a drop pitman arm would help the driveability.. try it out

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your looking just to be able to fit in bigger tires, and not worried about flex or offroading, why not just get a 3 inch body lift? it's about $100 and there is not worry about driveline vibrations
Rob

'89 Wrangler 258, 5 speed, bone stock drivetrain.
Future plans, AMC 360, 727tf, D44 front AMC 20 rear
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 01:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

We put a 2.5" Skyjacker lift (with stock shackles) in a '95 YJ. We didn't get the t-case drop at first, but got it about a week after installing the lift. Not a BAD vibration without it, but my bosses wife drives it so we had to make it "right". The stock brake lines were pretty stretched with this lift and the Jeep supported at the frame (axles drooped). If it was a 'wheeler' it would need the longer brake lines. Drop pitmann arm shouldn't be needed with a 2.5" lift, but everyones perception of bump steer is different. 31x10.50's fit no problem! Hope this helped!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's a roller with drivetrain now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode