Jeep Vehicles: Just Wondering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep Vehicles: Just Wondering

Daimler/Chrysler insits on referring to all of its Jeep line-up as "Jeep Vehicles." What does that mean? We never hear of "Ram" vehicles, or "Rover" vehicles. We don't even hear of SUVehicles. Maybe it's so that the XJ and ZJ crowd won't feel bad about not having "real" Jeeps. Heck, I always thought of all Jeeps as belonging to an extended Jeep Family!

So what's with DC? Are we considered so stupid that we must be told that our Jeeps are "vehicles?" Just wondering...

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:37 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Jeep Vehicles: Just Wondering

Rumors...Rumors...Rumors. With the Maddness that ovecame Chrysler, called Daimler, almost anything could be happening. I keep hearing rumors of:

1. DC will drop the Jeep nameplate and algamate all Jeep products into other lines, similar to whay Hewgag heard.
2. DC is talking with GM to sell GM the Jeep brand.
3. DC is going to retire the Jeep brand, like GM did with Oldsmobile.

It's a sad life if any of the above came true.

LEVE
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If GM were to really get the brand, it might save a lot of conversion $$. Think of all those bow-tie engine options and there's so much pruduct support out there. I can already think of a couple dozen axle, tranny and engine combos that are already in the GM inventory that would need very little if any mods to make a powerful jeep performance package.

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yikes!

I've had so much bad luck with >anything< GM, I might have to look at an Outback for wheeling.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I've gone through no less than seven GM products, and each has bitten me in one form or another. I always liked the power of the 350cid, and the ride was always good, but I had a K5 in Alaska that required me to >break< the brake drum's adjustment window out just so I could back off the slack adjuster! That was typical of working on "Chevys." GM!? There's a scary thought!

Yikes!

Hewgag

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

they refer to them as "Jeep vehicles" becasue if the just said jeep...people would automatically think of the SWB jeeps....not cherokees and grands. By useing "jeep vehicles" they make you think of the whole product line...

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, that makes sense. When I got my first YJ, a friend asked me "What kind?" I said "A >Jeep<." She said "Yes, but what >kind<?" "A Jeep, Jeep." It didn't occur to me she had a Cherokee, an thought >she< had a Jeep too. I guess she did!

Hewgag

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All of what LEVE has to say scares me to some extent. I was not in favor of Chrysler taking over Jeep in the first place (although they did bring back the round head light), and I for damn sure do not want to see GM get their hands on it. I think that GM cuts corners to the point that something is always ready to break. Granted, the small block Chevy motor is king, but...

The bottom line is that I should not be worried about it. Chevy, if they get Jeep (or any of the other of the big dogs for that matter) is going to do what they want with the line if they think it will sell. As I can't bring myself to wheel in a Jeep with airbags, I do not plan on buying any new product anyway.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hell, lets just buy it ourselves and build the jeeps the way we want to for a change!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:49 PM

First of all, XJs, MJs, ZJs and WJs, along with Jeepster/Commandos and the older Willys Pick ups, wagons and Cab Forwards are all REAL Jeeps, just as much as the Universals (CJ,YJ,TJ)are. In fact, the wagon bodied Jeeps outnumber the SWB Jeeps by a hefty margin in production numbers; it isn't even close. For instance, XJ Cherokees have very similar running gear to YJs, save for the front coil spring suspension; Commandos are very similar to CJ-6s and Cab Forwards, CJ-5s. If you don't believe me, then ask the many SWB Jeepers on this BBS who own a XJ, ZJ or WJ. See if they think they're real.

Second, All Jeep manufactures thru history have been in business to make money. If GM buys Jeep, then they'll try to make money, too. Any company who buys Jeep would be foolish to discontinue that name...most likely the single most recognizeable name of 4x4s in the world.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally when Chrysler bought Jeep I shuddered because I figured it would be the begining of the end. What I would like to see happen is for the employees of Jeep to buy the company like what happened at Harley Davidson that way Jeep could remain pure and improve instead of slowly dieing the way Chrysler kills any good that they have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode