I have an AMC 360 and I went to break the motor in this weekend and tried to install my new DUI distributor but the power steering pump was in the way. If i rotated the distributor to miss the pump, it hits the thermostat housing. I tried discussing this with DUI, but this was no help, and there tech guy only suggested relocating the power steering pump.
Ok... I admit I don't have a V8.. .but I've been thinkin' back to when I had to rebuild my 85 FSW 360... so the mind's a little foggy but perhaps this will help...
1. You don't need a lot of distributor rotation to set timing correctly.
2. Find TDC for number 1 pistion/cylinder for the power stroke.
3. Pull and reset the distributor for the MAXIMIMUM allowable rotation and clearance.
4. Look to see if the rotor will wipe ANY cap post at any time during the min. to max. rotation of the distributor.
5. Repeat 3 - 4 for other tower wipe positions.
6. Select the positon where the distributor rotation is MAX while the wipe connection is as close to centered within the Min. to Max. rotation.
7. THAT plug tower now becomes the place where you plug in Spark Plug Wire number 1.
8. Re-number the plug wire towers accordingly.