cust. Distributor. prestolite/HEI. need input! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

cust. Distributor. prestolite/HEI. need input!

this is what i am doing, and i am looking for experience, advice, input, and additional parts: i am taking a Prestolite dist from a 75 AMC 401 v-8 and a GM HEI distributor and "splicing" the two together. i am then going to take the HEI shaft and shorten it to whatever the new length needs to be to work in the AMC 401. i know i will have to make a new lower bushing for the prestolite housing to mate the HEI shaft. any input about this? i have a complete machine shop at my disposal, so accuracy is not a problem. i am also looking for a couple more prestolite distribuors and a couple more HEI's. i don't want to spend much since this is all R&D, but since i have the machines set up to do one, i might as well do 4 or 5. i am willing to give someone $10 for either dist(includes shipping). and if the project is a success, i will sell the new custom dist. back to you for what i have in it in parts. i know my price is low, but thats my offer. i am going to try to document everything as well as i can and so anyone can copy my work. thank-you for your thoughts and experience! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: cust. Distributor. prestolite/HEI. need input!

btt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're not going to get much feedback on this one. Most everybody here is sold on using the Duraspark system and modifying it with the TeamRush TFI upgrade. Hence the response to your first post on the subject. CJDave was going to attempt what you're trying, but changed directions with the TR upgrade. It's just too easy not to do it and the results are everything that HEI provides.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

the only reason i am not going with the TR upgrade on this is because i do not have ANY engine related wiring harness for the V-8 and will have to fabricate all of it. i believe it to be easier to put in one wire than everything needed to wire up the ford ignition module...UNLESS: the chassis wiring harness is original from the 1984 cj-8. i can probably get an engine harness from an 84 cj-7 that had a 258 in it. would it be possible to use the 6cyl. ignition module and wiring harness, the TR upgrade, mid-80's V-8 dist and make it work properly? am i correct in assuming that the 6 cyl and 8 cyl. Duraspark modules are the same? is there a "better" module than the factory one? does TeamRush have a website? THANK-YOU for replying! matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Other than the lengths of a few wires here and there the 6-cyl and 8-cyl ignition wiring is the same. Check this link out for the upgrade. http://www.trailhed.com Chris has good directions posted and I believe he has the wiring diagrams as well. If they aren't there I can post them here.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

THANKS! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode